Jump to content

Help!!!!! Opdivo OR chemo for Resectable Stage 3A NSCLC


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone.

Unfortunately, my 65 year old mother was just diagnosed with stage 3A Nonsmall cell lung cancer with evidence of mostly Adenocarcinoma and less than ten percent of squamous cells. Her tumor is 6cm in diameter and beginning to invade the main pulmonary artery. She tested negative for mutations.

The surgeon claims the tumor is potentially respectable if we can shrink it. So we were given two neoadjuvant therapy choices:

Option one: The oncologist offered us the standard of care which is a chemo cocktail of cisplatin and alimata for three months and then reevaluation for surgery.


Option Two: to participate in a clinical trial using Opdivo for two infusions over a 28 day period for the first time in patients that are not yet stage IV. Then reevaluation for surgery.

We don't know what to do? Can fellow members weigh in on knowledge and personal experiences on side effects and effectiveness for both the cisplatin and alimata vs Opdivo.

Is Opdivo too much of a gamble for a potentially respectable tumor? Likelihood of cancer progression in four weeks (add another two for routine tests).

Which is "safer" route to go?

We were not given as much feedback and reassurance as we would have liked on either option and feeling very afraid and frustrated in what already was a high stress situation with the new diagnosis.

Where can we go to seek additional sound oncologist advice in a speedy manner? The trial for Opdivo is coming to a close, so time is of the essence for decision making.

Thank you to all!!!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...


What's the update?

From my understanding, this is actually pretty controversial.

My mom was dx at stage 4, but now she has had a very good response, and the question is similar: surgery, or no?


Anyway. For my mom's case, we opted to get on the immunotherapy clinical trial, since time was of the essence, and then arrange for a second opinion (Duke). Second opinion said there was no better treatment than the immunotherapy drug.

That's not to say that may be true in every case, but my mom has done so well that I would not hesitate to at least investigate the immunotherapy option in a second opinion setting. Even if, at this point, you have already begun one treatment option, it is never too late to pursue a second opinion. There are plenty of people in this community who go months or years and then have a consult with a new oncologist, just for verification and peace of mind.

Keep us posted; I see it's been a while since you posted.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.