Hi, I'm Susan - Stage IIIa adenocarcinoma

Hi!  I'm new to cancer and to this wonderful web site.  Here's my story: I have had asthma and allergy issues for years, so when asthma got worse 18 months ago, no cause for alarm.  When I developed bronchitis last fall, no cause for alarm.  I coughed up blood in December 2015 and an x-ray revealed a large mass in my upper left lung.  Pulmonologist performed a bronchoscopy and a biopsy indicated no cancer so the mass was further evaluated for bacteria and fungus.  No luck, so on February 22nd I had a lobectomy on my left lung and was diagnosed with cancer.  7 of 10 lymph nodes were affected but the surgeon did get clear margins.  On March 19th, I had my first of four chemo treatments (cisplatin and alimta).  

In hindsight, I should have requested an xray when my asthma took a turn, so that is now my advice to others.  Be your own advocate.  I've had too many people, including health care providers, ask me if I smoke.  Lung cancer doesn't just affect smokers, and it doesn't just affect older patients.  I'm a 46 year old non-smoker diagnosed with the most common form of lung cancer.  I'd love to see providers take a new look at the face of lung cancer, and see it become as visible to the public as breast or prostate cancer.  After all, it is the number one cancer killer.  If you can't tell, once I beat this, I'm planning to become a voice for this cause!

Hi there...I certainly hope things will go well for you and hoping you can give me your experience with cisplatin and alimta.

I had a lobectomy on the lower third of my right lung on April 9 and my oncologist is recommending I start chemo in 7 days.  I am scared to beyond words of the effects of the chemo.

Would you mind sharing your experience with me.

Thank you so much.

Skmcornett,

Welcome and well said.

I cannot understate the importance of advocacy for the newly diagnosed.  As you've said - be your own advocate, but in order to do so, a patient or care giver must invest time to learn about their disease.  Information is essential to effective advocacy.  That said, I completely agree with your post.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hello and I also welcome you to the group.  I have known way too many people that never ever smoked

that have been diagnosed with lung cancer.  It is not fair that people think only people that smoke get lung cancer.

People do not know how many thousands suffer with it each year and that it is the leading killer , more than the next

four cancers combined.

I also believe they should even make it illegal to sell cigarettes for those companies just want to make money

on an addictive substance.  They don't care that it cause many deadly diseases. 

Glad to hear that you want to advocate for prevention, research and a cure for the thousands of people affected

by lung cancer. The truth needs to be known.

Donna G

Karen,

I've had a good experience with cisplatin and alimta, but that's not to say I haven't had some side effects.  My fabulous oncologist has kept my nausea under control with a combination of meds.  The most aggravating side effect thus far has been ringing in my ears.  I've also had some neuropathy.  My fourth and final treatment is Friday and I'm guessing the side effects will be a little worse the next couple of weeks.  Fatigue has been an issue, too, but I've quickly discovered that laundry can wait for a day or two until I feel good enough to deal with it.

My advice to you is this:  keep your provider in the loop on your side effects.  Chemo side effects can be managed so much better than in the past.  Good luck to you and I'll keep you in my thoughts. 

Hi there...I certainly hope things will go well for you and hoping you can give me your experience with cisplatin and alimta.

I had a lobectomy on the lower third of my right lung on April 9 and my oncologist is recommending I start chemo in 7 days.  I am scared to beyond words of the effects of the chemo.

Would you mind sharing your experience with me.

Thank you so much.