lung, to lympnode, to liver...

Guest daddysgirl

Guest daddysgirl

do I start researching liver cancer now instead of lung? This might be a silly question but the way that I cope with my dad being sick is doing nothing but research and spending time with him. He thinks its cool when I drop all kinds of medical terms on his doctor. Dad was admitted to the hospital on Monday and tests show that he now has 2 tumors in the liver, one on the very edge in the bile duct. I was just thinking, I have so much info on lung cancer that maybe I should be looking at liver cancer now too? The doctors gave him months to live...but heck they said that about my aunt and she ended up being here for 12 years after that. So I guess my question is should I look more into the lung or the liver cancer? Maybe I just wanted to talk...lol. Thanks for letting me think umm I guess this wouldnt be considered outloud, would it?

Guest daddysgirl

They are actually talking radiation but from what I have found, its difficult to do radiation on tumors near/in the bile duct. Dad has yellow jaundice, which is now going away. I have found out that when the cancer spreads, I still should focus on the lung. I guess you learn something new everyday.

Your Dads case and mine are very similar. I first had surgery (see my signature), twice, then in April 2003, the lung cancer had metstatasized to my lymphnodes. I was on chemo (carboplatin/taxol + clinical trial (ABT-510)) from May 5 through September 2. I got chemo every 3 weeks and took one self administered shot per day of the ABT-510. The scan at the end of September showed stabilization, and or shrinkage of the nodes, so it was basically a clear scan. I continued on the ABT-510 until my November Scan (as required by the clinical trial I was scanned every 6 weeks). This scan showed a tumor in the middle of my liver.

On December 9, 2003, I started a new trial, ZD6474 vs Iressa. It was a double blind + placebo. I took two pills every day, one a placebo and the other one of the two drugs. In earler studies on ZD6474, it was noted that approximately 5% of the subjects developed changes in their EKG, therefore I was required to have a weekly EKG. On January 6th the EKG changed and I was temporarily removed from the study, to allow my EKG to return to normal. After 10 days, getting EKG's every other day, the drug company had the study unblinded, and it was discovered that I was actually taking the ZD6474.

My last scan, which was done on January 6, showed no new growth of the liver tumor. I will be scanned again, this coming Tuesday, and will see my oncologist as well. A decision will be made, based upon scan results, as to what will be done next. Cardiology has recommended that I not continue with this study. The possibility exists, that because of the December Scan showing no new growth, that if this next scan shows the same, we may just go into a watch and wait, and get scanned every 4 weeks, as planned.

I have had no physical changes or changes in any of my liver function tests, which leads the oncologist to believe that the 4 weeks on the drug was enough. So we wait and see.

Donna is probably correct in saying that the liver cancer is LC mets. LC has a propensity to metstatisize to the liver. As I have learned from LCSC, liver mets seems to react differently from individual to individual.

It was scary when I had the lymphnode mets, and then the liver mets was just as bad, emotionally. As we travel on this journey with lung cancer, we experience both high and low emotions, which is why many of us are on anti-depressants.

It sounds as if your father has a good oncology team, so I'm sure the correct decisions will me made. Just remember, here you are among almost 900 friends who can well relate to what you and your father are going through.

Hello, Daddysgirl;

Sorry to hear of your dads situation, but DaveG's got some good info. there and we believe in beating this beast, So hang in there and keep doing what your doing.

The subject of RFA, came up last week in chat and I found this link about it.

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe ... tion.shtml

Hope it help's and know you and your dad will be in my prayers!

God bless and be well

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

MRI's taken 12/18/03 - 2 brain mets found- named em Frick & Frack

PET taken 1/5 - hot spot in mediastinum May be cancer??

"Absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"