An old newbie

Dick A.

My name is Dick, and I am 74 years old.   I learned I had stage 4 lung cancer about 3 months ago.  Have gone through 3 chemo sessions so far and each one seems to get worse.  My next session is next Tuesday.  Monday I go for a ct scan and hopefully it will show some improvement.  Wish me luck.

Hello Dick.  Glad you found us.  Sounds like your Doctor got your treatment started quickly.  Chemo is rough. 

I have been through lots of chemo, radiation, surgery, and more chemo.   I was Stage 3 B.  The chemo etc was tough but

it worked and I am still here.  Please let us know how you are doing and I pray your results show that that tough chemo is also working for you.

Donna G

Hello, Dick!

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but I'm happy that you found LCSC. On this site, you'll read stories from many survivors who have been down a similar road and have similar experiences. There are also many people like me, who aren't living with lung cancer, but who advocate on behalf of our loved ones who are fighting lung cancer. I hope that you can make some great connections.

Please keep us posted on your scan results! Sending lots of positive thoughts your way. We are here for you.

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Dick welcome here!

Three months, three times in the chair, and a scan today, I wish it wasn't so!  I really wish I didn't know how you are feeling, but I do.

So, where do we begin.  Thankfully you'll get CT scan results a lot sooner than when I was in active treatment.  There is a point to be made by that statement - I've been around for a long time, surviving 12 years from diagnosis and 9 years NED (no evidence of disease).  And, If I can live, so can you.

Where do we go from here?  Regardless of the CT scan results, you'll likely spend at least 3 more times in the chair.  You are in what we call first line treatment now.  You may need a second round (called second line treatment).  You may need a third round.  You may have a change in chemo recipe.  My treatment batting average was 200 - one for five - so more treatment is not unusual.  My next statement is likely hard to realize while you are enduring treatment because of the "enduring", but try and focus on the reason you are undergoing treatment.  It gives you extra life.  Since that is the case, the question becomes what are you doing with the extra life.  I did not learn this lesson until well past the depression of my unsuccessful fourth line treatment.  I left a lot of unappreciated and unfulfilling life in the infusion chair.

Here is what I suggest.  Take a look at your forehead in the mirror every morning.  If you don't see the word "expired" stamped on it, enjoy the day.

You'll likely have questions and this is a good place to ask them.  You might tell us about the type of lung cancer you have.  Treatment alternatives vary by type and subtype. Knowing yours will assist us in answering your treatment and side-effect questions.  Here is a good primer on the types of cancer - https://www.lungevity.org/about-lung-cancer/lung-cancer-101/types-of-lung-cancer

Stay the course.

Tom

Well went in today for test results and next chemo session.  Test results did not come in happily.  The current chemo that I have been on is not doing the job and has not affected the tumor.  The tumor is still growing and is now strangling one of my bronchial tubes to the extent that the upper part of my right lung has collapsed.  Sooooo, we cancelled the chemo and instead he had me change over to an immune therapy.  Associated with this will be some radiation treatment on the tumor.  I see the radiologist at noon tomorrow.  Hopefully between these two therapies, it will help or at least slow down the tumor.  It will take a lot longer than if the chemo had worked, but you just have to roll with the punches.  I am not giving up yet, but I have to admit it did knock some of the wind out of my sails.  At least my oncologist did say that the effects of the immune therapy shouldn't make me as sick as the chemo.  I am grateful for that if it turns out to be true.  Will keep you all informed as to how it goes.

Thanks for the update Dick.  Glad you have another plan in place. Radiation should get that tumor under control. Immunotherapy is a great alternative too. Sure pray that your next follow up Ct gives us much better news.  Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Donna G

Hi, Dick,

Thanks for posting an update. Many of us are following you and you're in our hearts and on our minds. It made me smile to read that you've already found the silver lining regarding the new treatment plan. Immunotherapy has shown some of the most promising advances in cancer research in recent years and it won't make you as sick as chemo.

Here is LUNGevity's patient education booklet on immunotherapy https://www.lungevity.org/sites/default/files/file-uploads/immunotherapy-brochure-033115.pdf if you'd like to do some reading about how immunotherapy works.

Please continue to keep us posted and feel free to ask questions and share concerns on this site. We're here for you!

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation