Stage 3a adenocarcinoma in upper right lobe.. Petrified

Hi everyone, my name is Lisa and I was diagnosed with stage 3a adenocarcinoma of the upper right lung on July 29th. I will be starting treatments on Monday which will be cisplatin/alimpta (sp) with 35 rounds of radiation 5/week. All this is with the hopes to get me to surgery. I will have a mediastinal surgery to check lymph nodes after radiation. I now have two nodes involved and one sits on my pulmonary artery. If cancer is found than no surgery. I am so scared, I am 46 years old and the closer treatment gets the more scared I become. Anyone have any huge side effects on these two drugs? Also anyone with stage 3a adenocarcinoma that can add some positive reinforcement for me? Thank you all!

Hello Lisa.  I took Cisplatin but the other was Etopiside (VP 16 ).  I also had the daily radiation  in hopes to make me operable.

I was diagnosed in December 1997 Stage 3B.  I was able to have surgery.  I did have more chemo.  I am still here.  I pray that you respond as

well as I did.  Please keep us posted. 

Donna G

Lisa,

Welcome.

I also had pre-surgical chemo (Taxol & Carboplatin) for NSCLC but mine is Squamous cell.  Prior to the chemo I also had a mediastinal biopsy that identified my type.  The chemo and radiation worked and my right lung was completely removed. But cancer returned twice more to my left lung. Then, 12 more Taxol Carboplatin infusions in 2 years. After each course (6 infusions) I had a clean scan but tumors returned shortly thereafter. My last treatment was a CyberKnife that fried my remaining tumor. I was diagnosed in Feburary 2004 and have now survived nearly 13 years. So if I can live, so can you. 

I'm sure your surgeon will order genetic tumor testing to see if your cancer exhibits certain characteristics to allow what is called targeted therapy. Adenocarcenoma cancer has been very successfully controlled by the many forms of targeted therapy available today. 

Questions?  Ask away.  That is why we are here. 

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi, Lisa.  I was diagnosed with the same cancer in my upper left lung (also at age 46) in February of this year.  Following surgery, I had four rounds of cisplatin/alimta.  The side effects, for me, were tolerable.  My oncologist managed my nausea by piggybacking two different anti-nausea meds and an anti-reflux med.  I had my treatments on Fridays and found that Mondays were my worst days.  The lasting side effects for me are ringing in the ears, some fatigue and a little neuropathy in my hands and feet.  I hope this helps. Please keep us posted on your progress.  

Lisa by the way, has your Doctor mentioned putting in a port to take the Cisplatin?  First the great thing about a port is they don't have to find a vein

every time your go in.  Access is easy.  I do have some neuropathy from the chemo but I am still alive so I just keep my feet happy and live on.

The meds they have now to control side effects are really good.

Donna G

Hi Lisa and Team,

I found that I have lung cancer (one on left lower lobe 2.6cm and right lower lobe 0.8cm) Gene mutation Adenocarcinoma (NSLC) stage 4. I am very healthy active person, always eat healthy foods, never smoked in my life, do not drink alcohol and no family history of cancer. 

No surgery. I will start my treatment this week with GILOTRIF 20m/1 day. Did anyone use this medication? Please let me know.

Thanks, Samantha

Samantha,

Welcome here.

I have not taken Gilotrif or afatinib.  My chemo was administered in 2004, 2005 and 2006 and targeted treatment of cancer cells had yet to be discovered.  Gilotrif, I've read, is newly approved as first-line treatment for non-small cell lung cancer tumors that have epidermal growth factor receptors (EGFR) exon 19 deletions or exon 21 substitution mutations.  It is also used as second-line treatment for people who were first administered platinum-based chemotherapy (carboplatin and others) and experienced a recurrence.

I knew a lady who took a similar classification of EGFR inhibitor drug called Tarceva and lived for 10 years.  It controlled her cancer so well, she was able to live an active life until she passed from a heart attack. So targeted treatment can be very effective.

Here is some information on Gilotrif - https://www.lungevity.org/about-lung-cancer/lung-cancer-101/treatment-options/targeted-therapy

I'm sure someone on this site will contact you and relate their experience with targeted treatment and or Gilotrif.  

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the warm welcome:-) Yes, Gilotrif is new medication for treating non-small cell lung cancer (EGFR Mutation). My oncologist want me to use Gilotrif 20 mg/1 a day first for one month then increase the dosage. He said first I should be on this medication to see then Chemo. These new targeted medications are so expensive. This Gilotrif 20mg (30 tabs month supply)  copay is $2,707.00. I really appreciate the link for Gilotrif.

Regards, Samantha