Has Anyone Used/Combined Holistic Methods with Conventional?

Anyone combined or used nutritional / holistic methods of any type in their fight?  There are lots of diets, including juicing carrots mostly.   How about some immunotherapies I keep hearing about from Mexico?  Some claim success.   Would like to hear of anyone that used other than mainstream methods either alone or with conventional.  Thanks all.

John

My thoughts are if there is a slight chance it may help(Essential Oil..juicing..diet..excercise..vitamins..Tumeric..etc then try it there isn't

a lot of success with the existing treatment protocols..ie chemo radiation so if you think it will help by all means explore.

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

My thoughts are if there is a slight chance it may help(Essential Oil..juicing..diet..excercise..vitamins..Tumeric..etc then try it there isn't

a lot of success with the existing treatment protocols..ie chemo radiation so if you think it will help by all means explore.

What you say Peter makes a lot of sense, the success ratio is not as good as many of the other forms of cancer, so it we can do something to help it along, why not?  There are many things listed on the web, trying to weed out the valid methods from the BS is the problem.   I would not imagine asking our doctors would be helpful, as I am sure they will just quote the conventional methods.  I think it would not be a bad idea if some type of sub forum be added  here where members can post their experiences, both good and bad with different non conventional methods, be it a different type of diet, or maybe a supplement.  I know for a fact that certain fasts done before chemo can amplify the benefits and reduce the side effects.   A professor at USC, Dr Valter Longo,  has run clinical trials and published papers showing these benefits to be real, they cost nothing, take some effort, but it can be worth it.  As far as supplements, Fish Oils have shown benefits also, that is cheap and easy to use, at least this is a start.  A search of PubMed I am sure will bring up many others that are valid.  We need all the help we can get!

John

John,

With respect, I disagree.  I've heard and read about people trying to sell "non-conventional", "holistic methods" and the like in my 12 years of surviving this nastiness. I know people who died because they believed enough to try the non conventional.  Re-reading all your posts, it appears you are positioning yourself to peddle unproven methods using this site as a sales platform.

You are saying: "I know for a fact that certain fasts" (classic scam statement), citing "Dr. Valter Longo" (not a medical doctor but a PhD genetics researcher with interest in aging and has two preliminary studies on fasting that he admits are not conclusive) and the "Rife Frequency Generator"(doesn't even work when plugged in) as curative measures.  I'll be frank.  Are you trying to get purchase on this site to offer "non-conventional" or "holistic methods" as a viable means for effective treatment of lung cancer? 

I'm flagging your posts and bringing them to the attention of senior LUNGevity management for review.

Tom

No, not selling anything, fasting is free, in fact you save money, how can I make money off that, unless you send me the money you saved!   Fasting is the most valid method of life extension and health promoting methods available, if done right, namely under doctors care.   It has been tested in practically every species of animals, including monkeys, and has shown its benefits  Can't test it on humans unless you want to wait 120 years for the results!

Since I have Sjogrens I use mainly natural treatments, the only medical option for autoimmune disease is immune supressive drugs, do you know what they do, give you cancer, I don't need the help, I did OK on my own.   I am doing as well as anyone taking drugs to control their disease and plan to try to help myself as much as possible by using any   method available so I can live a full life.   You got very lucky with LC, the majority don't.  It really comes down to luck, I am sure the same exact treatments have been used on others and they did not do as well.   I am not very lucky, so I will have to make up the difference by working harder, whatever it takes, I will try.

As far as Longo, he is recognized at a top man in his field, all his publications are peer reviewed, you don't end up as a professor at USC unless you are at the top of your field.   As far as Rife, that is garbarge.  If you want to flag my posts, go ahead, I have already been shafted by the oncologist I was depending on, so why should I keep putting all my faith in doctors, I need to help myself.  Like the motto goes, "God helps those that help themselves"  My father put all his faith in doctors to help him, he died at 67.  My mother hated doctors and took care of herself, she died at 93.   I plan on living as long as possible.

Thank you for replying.   My protocol,should I need to choose one, will encompass anything and everything that will help me.   Nowadays, many of the so called holistic treatments are no longer looked upon as being unconventional, they have become what is called integrative oncology, a step in the right direction which now looks upon these methods as valid protocols that are now used with the long time standard methods of treatments.   The long time staunch advocates of old school methods have loosen up a bit with the realization that the hard core methods used "just ain't cutting it" and maybe what those oddballs using diet and drugs that were never meant to be used to treat cancer ( called repurposing) has a place and will make our treatments more effective.    Add in the new realm of comparative oncology and more nuances of treatment are added to the mix.  I have spent several years doing heavy research into cancer treatments due to the unfortunate fact that I have had a number of dogs with cancer, the statistics for dogs is even worse than humans, one in two will develop cancer if they live long enough, in my case since they are very well taken care of, they tend to live longer than the breed's average and end up with cancer.  I deal with an excellent oncologist in another state who is one of the most respected and progressive in the field, anytime I find research of a new and novel adjunct treatment that I feel will be of benefit to my  dog, I present it and he is all in.   Veterinary oncology uses the same exact drugs and methods as human oncology, they never bothered to research different drugs until the last several years, since what works in humans, works in dogs.     I have found not only that these methods have helped my dogs, but as a result, my doctor now uses them in his treatment of other dogs, from using drugs that were never meant to be used for cancer, to dietary changes to Chinese herbals.  BTW, I also employ a Veterinary Chinese Herbalist, which my regular oncologist is OK with and now he even has added in a number of formulas himself and sells them to his patients to be given at home also.   There is a LOT more to cancer treatment than surgery, chemo and radiation, maybe once that was the norm, but we have progresses a long way since so we have to get "with it" to keep living.    John

Lets be honest.people with SCLC are dieing every day with conventional treatment and maybe they are dieing every day with alternative treatments as well but each individual has to make that choice..do your research and follow the path that you feel comfortable with.