Hello from Arizona~ new member

Hi!

I learned about this website from a lung support group I attended this afternoon! I am currently a member of Inspire but Super excited to have a new forum to communicate with others that I can relate to and that can relate to me. I am 35 years old and I was diagnosed with Stage IB lung cancer last month. I had a VATS on 07/20/2016 to disect my LLL and all the lymph nodes tested came back negative. I am currently at home in recovery. My tumor was a 3.2 mucinous adenocarcinoma. Scheduled to have a CT scan next month and undergo genetic testing. 

See you around the website! :)

~Yovana 

Welcome,   Glad you found us. Sounds like you were fortunate to have an early stage diagnosis. It also sounds I am guessing from your sign in name that you are active in hiking and running ?   That new type of surgery is less traumatic and is a blessing to be able to have.

You are less than a month post op and are out and about to support groups, great!  I am also so glad you are being having genetic testing.  Please keep us posted on how you are

and how the tests next month turn out.

Donna G

Hello Yovana!

Stage IB, VATS, left lower lobe resection, negative nodes and recovering - priceless!  Let's hope for a clean CT and that your adenocarcinoma responds to targeted therapy in case there are future discoveries.

Donna says you are fortunate and I agree.  Lung cancer isn't normally discovered early stage.  So your's was fortuitous.  I'm sure your medical team has you scheduled for recurring visits and diagnostics.  Lung cancer is persistent.  From what I've read, about 30% of those who have a successful Stage I treatment outcome experience a reoccurrence.  So be vigilant with your medical monitoring.

In the meantime, revel in that gift that all lung cancer patients desire - extra life.  

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi, Yovana!

I'm glad you've found LCSC and happy to hear that your test results came back negative. I hope that you make many meaningful connections on this site. It looks like you've already met two of our awesome members, Donna and Tom.

Just to give you a quick rundown of the features on LCSC, in addition to the discussion boards, there are also user blogs, photo galleries, and a calendar of upcoming LUNGevity and lung cancer related events. Please feel free to explore and let us know if you have any questions!

Regards,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Hi Yovana

Like you I had VATS surgery but on my upper left lobe. Lymp nodes and margins were clear. I followed that with 4 rounds of adjuvant chemo. That was in 2007 and I have been NED ever since. Vats surgery was not recommended for Stage 1B but I really pushed to have it and glad I did. The lower left lobe is 30% while the upper lobe is 70% so that should help you as well. You can do this and as Tom said, be vigilant with the testing. You have to be your own advocate on this journey.

Hi Yovana!

I am also a newbie to this community, although I was diagnosed one year ago today. I'm not normally a "joiner" & hadn't explored the support groups offered locally, but have found much information, understanding & support from the wonderful group of people  here who are ready, willing & able to help in any way they can.

Glad that your cancer was found when it was and you were able to have the VATS procedure; everything sounds great! Take care of yourself and please keep posting! Wishing you all the best.

Ruthie