GinaFlorida

GinaFlorida

My husband was diagnosed stage 4 met to brain and super clavicle lymph nodes. Sterotactic done to brain and lung. Proton to clavicle plus 2 courses of chemotherapy. Reoccurrence to Chest cavity affecting voice, swallowing,cough and shortness of breathe. Doctor recommends Opdivo. Need to know side effects and prognosis. 

Gina,

Here is information on immunotherapy, a very promising emerging therapy for treating certain types of advanced stage lung cancer.  If doctor is recommending Opdivo, then your husband has a type match, and that is good.  https://www.lungevity.org/about-lung-cancer/lung-cancer-101/treatment-options/immunotherapy

I have no actual experience because my chemotherapy was administered in 2004 through 2007, well before the emergence of targeted treatments.  I've read when immunotherapy works, it works dramatically.  

More questions? Ask away.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Gina,

I am sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. I'm glad you found LCSC. This is a great forum to connect with other survivors and caregivers. I'll reach out to the other Support & Survivorship team members to see who we can connect you with. I'll get back to you ASAP!

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

HI there,

I have been on Opdivo since 7/2013. I began it through a clinical trial.

Since I have been getting it, the worst side effect is that my thyroid quit working right. I just take a pill every day for that. 

I am somewhat fatigued on the day of and the day after a treatment - nothing like I experienced with chemo.

Some friends have had rashes and some nausea. I have had neither.

When I began Opdivo, there was little hope for me. Since I started, my tumors have remained completely stable. (They have NOT gone away, though the radiologist often references them.as scars). 

I go every two weeks for the hour long infusion. 

Good luck.