New Introduction

KC1

Just wanted to introduce myself.  

My name is KC and I am new to this group.  NSCLC, Stage 2, Lobectomy Sept 29, 2015, Chemo before and after, shrunk 2 of 3 tumors, top left lung removed, So far, so good or as good as to be expected I guess.  Life has changed as I knew it

Hello KC!

Glad you found us and very happy with your reported results.  I also had pre-surgical chemo and radiation before a pneumonectomy but surgical complications meant I couldn't receive the post surgical or "dust-up" chemo and I suffered my first of three recurrences.  I was stage IIIA Squamous cell NSCLC.  

After you are full recovered from surgery and during your first air travel trip, you may experience pain or discomfort in your incision area.  Folks often don't expect this symptom but it is more common than not.  Life has indeed changed but it does not need to be different from your pre-diagnosed experience.  You've gone through this rigorous treatment to allow life continuance so I believe it is important to do something worthwhile with your treatment-produced extension.  So add the word enjoyment to your new normal cancer survivor status.

Stay the course.

Tom 

Hi KC, welcome.  I was Stage 3B, had chemo and radiation before I was able to have surgery.  Had a

Right upper lobectomy then as planned had more chemo after surgery.  It worked for me.  I am still here and NED.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing. 

It is good to have someone to talk to when you are going through this journey.

Donna G

Hi, KC,

Welcome to LCSC! I am happy that you've joined this community. Please feel free to start new topics and join ongoing conversations in the discussion boards. This is a great place to ask questions and share stories with others whose lives have been affected by lung cancer. If there is anything you need in terms of support or resources, please let us know!

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

• 3 months later...
On 11/26/2016 at 10:47 AM, Tom Galli said:

Hello KC!

Glad you found us and very happy with your reported results.  I also had pre-surgical chemo and radiation before a pneumonectomy but surgical complications meant I couldn't receive the post surgical or "dust-up" chemo and I suffered my first of three recurrences.  I was stage IIIA Squamous cell NSCLC.  

After you are full recovered from surgery and during your first air travel trip, you may experience pain or discomfort in your incision area.  Folks often don't expect this symptom but it is more common than not.  Life has indeed changed but it does not need to be different from your pre-diagnosed experience.  You've gone through this rigorous treatment to allow life continuance so I believe it is important to do something worthwhile with your treatment-produced extension.  So add the word enjoyment to your new normal cancer survivor status.

Stay the course.

Tom 

Thanks Tom,

Sorry it has been so long to respond.  Still trying to adjust to the NEW NORMAL.  Finally back to work but has not been easy.  New company is now requiring me to travel by plane and I am very nervous about doing so.  They have basically given me no option and have threatened my job.  UGH.  This new life sucks so far.  Trying to cope.

Kevin

Kevin,

Not everyone experiences pain and your lobectomy may not have caused the same injury that my three thoracic surgeries caused.  I don't avoid air travel but I need to plan a respite after a 3 plus hour trip.  That entails an overnight stop.  I'm at the point where a 1 to 2 hour flight is tolerable.  I also take prescribed pain medicine on longer flights and that helps.

It is now about 4 months since your surgery.  Have you tried a flight?

Stay the course.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Tom,

Still have not tried a flight.  Was supposed to last week to Vegas for a business trip and chickened out.  LOL

This whole experience has been horrible.  Especially alone.  But sure glad I have my faith.

Sorry it takes me so long to respond.  Been going though tough issues.  

Staying the course though.  Thanks Tom

Kevin