Need hopeful stories, mom has stage 4

My mom has stage four lung cancer and has done many different types of treatment. I am really hoping to talk to others, maybe hear stories of hopes or anything really.

She's had sugery, done optivo, taking a tablet, going to begin cyber knife too as well as another chemo which will take her hair and I'm assuming be more aggressive.

I'm lost and losing my best friend. I'd really like to if anyone is from Maryland area please let me know.

Daughter,

Surf around our forum and you will find many stories of hope.  Most of us have been right where your mother is now.  I've lived nearly 13 years since diagnosis with Non Small Cell Squamous Cell Lung Cancer.  I've had surgery, chemo, and a CyberKnife.  I also lost my hair - twice.  Also lost my eyebrows and eyelashes but all grew back after treatment was complete.  Here is my hope - if I can live, so can your mother.

Here is a blog I wrote some time ago that highlights the importance of hope.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hello,

I'm very sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis, but I'm happy that you've joined LCSC. I'm especially glad you've already connected with Tom. He is an incredible mentor to this community and can offer lots of reasons to have hope. I work for LUNGevity as the Digital Community Manager so I'm happy to talk with you about the support resources and programs we offer.

If you're interested in peer-to-peer support, LUNGevity offers a free LifeLine Support Partner program that matches patient-to-patient or caregiver-to-caregiver. LifeLine Support Partners are volunteers whose lives have also been impacted by lung cancer, and they can offer advice, experience, and understanding. Here is the link to LifeLine: https://www.lungevity.org/support-survivorship/get-connected/lungevity-lifeline. Please let me know if you'd like additional information about LifeLine and I'll put you in touch with my colleague Nikole, who manages the program.

I became involved with LUNGevity as a volunteer event coordinator after my uncle was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer in 2011. My uncle underwent chemotherapy, radiation, and multiple surgeries to address brain mets. When he found out he had ALK, he started taking a targeted therapy drug which produced great results for almost four years. This spring, he switched to another targeted therapy drug and is doing well. In September, we celebrated five years of survival as a family. In the past five years, he's attended his oldest son's wedding, his youngest son's graduation from college, and the birth of his first three grandchildren.

I also wanted to share David Gobin's story. I met David and his wife Stephanie at my first Breathe Deep Baltimore in Camden Yards. They're a wonderful couple and I love spending time with them. This is a video that our partner SU2C produced about David's story:

The theme in Tom and David and my uncle's stories is that there is always a reason to have hope. Please keep us posted about how you and your mom are doing and feel free to explore and join in on any of the discussion threads in this community.

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation
lhumphries@lungevity.org