Tagrisso

Lydia V

I would love to hear from anyone who is or has been on Tagrisso. I was on Afatinib but changed to Tagrisso when new mutation showed up. Originally I had many side effects and had to go off it for about 6 weeks, I was restarted at a lower {40 mg) dose and gradually increased back up to 80 mg. No severe side effects yet, just a mild rash.

Lydia 

Hi Lydia,
I'm sorry no one has gotten back to you yet. Somehow tagrisso sounds familiar, so someone should be in touch when they see your note.

I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone in here. It looks like you're kinda new here. Is there anything else you'd like to chat about until someone using the same treatment comes to the table.

So, what else is going on?

Take care,
Mary

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hi, Lydia,

I'll see if I can find someone who can share more information about Tagrisso from personal experience. In the meantime, this webpage details some of the possible side effects of EGFR inhibitors  https://www.lungevity.org/about-lung-cancer/lung-cancer-101/treatment-options/targeted-therapy

Please let us know if you have any other questions! 

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Lyndia,

Welcome here.

In the dark ages of oral chemotherapy (2006), my oncologist added Tarcevia in combination with infused Taxol and Carboplatin as third line treatment to address a recurrence. This epidermal growth factor (EGFR) drug also cause me severe side-effects, most notably and bothersome were acne and diarrhea.  I also had my dosage reduced because of the difficulty with these side-effects.  The side-effects continued despite the reduced dosage and I stopped taking the drug about half way through my third line treatment.  At that time, doctors did not know that Tarcevia only worked on certain subtypes of NSCLC and squamous cell (my subtype) is not effectively countered by the drug.

Since 2007, research discoveries have yielded a large number of specific and effective targeted therapy, particularly for adenocarcinoma patients.  Your drug is one such discovery and some of these therapies have had remarkable effect in controlling and arresting metastatic lung cancer.  I was well acquainted with a lady who survived for 10-years taking Tarcevia and she passed from a heart attack.  But she celebrated every day of her life.  She taught me the importance of recognizing lung cancer treatment often extends life and what matters most is what we do with the extension.  Her goal of finding joy everyday is now my goal and I offer it to you.

Stay the course.

Tom