How would Tarceva affect a kidney dialysis patient?

Mommy's girl

Hi, 

My mom, who is 78 years old, was diagnosed with Non small cell carcinoma, stage 4, on March 3rd. Based on her pathology results she is a good candidate for Tarceva. I've read about the scary side effects of this medication. Another cause for worry is how this drug would work with medications my mom is taking as a kidney dialysis patient. I would appreciate any information that anyone could share about this. Thank you and God bless. 

Hi, Mommy's girl,

Welcome to LCSC. I am sorry that you and your family are going through this. I hope you can connect with many other caregivers and lung cancer patients in this community who can share their personal experiences. I put out a call to respond to your post on some of our other social media private groups. I encouraged anyone with information or experience with Tarceva and kidney dialysis to respond to this thread.

Please let me know if you would like additional resources or information about lung cancer or targeted therapy or if you'd like to learn more about our support programs and I will be happy to help.

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Hi Lauren, 

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my thread. We're really at a loss and still devastated with my mom's recent diagnosis and I've been praying that someone would actually care to respond to me with any information about this disease. Up until this time we thought lung cancer doesn't run in the family, but guess what, now it does. 

Just to give you an update, today is the 8th day my mom is taking Tarceva 150mg and I must say she's responding very well to it. So far she's not complaining of any side effects, and the good thing about it is her persistent cough is all but gone. She can go for several hours without her oxygen tube, and her appetite is still very good. Her oncologist will repeat her pet scan in 8 weeks to see if Tarceva is shrinking her tumor. 

Yes I would love to get more information about targeted cancer therapy. I read in this forum that Tarceva has an efficacy lifespan. How long does it take before an alternative treatment needs to be considered? Because she's a dialysis patient and with her age we are ruling out chemotherapy and radiation for her. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. God bless you and this community.