Back again

Brenda Morelock

Hi! I am back here for some help/encouragement. I have had PET scan which showed only the area in right upper lobe. Thank God! I did my pulmonary function test today and received call from pulmonologist. He said he thought my lung function was well enough to do surgery. I will be referred to surgeon. I also have follow up appt. with the pulmonologist that first saw me on Mon. I am getting really nervous now. I am still smoking-trying my best to cut down. Any suggestions on things that will help me quit would be greatly appreciated. Also what questions should I be asking? Just a bundle of nerves right now.

Hi Brenda, welcome back.

So, let's review the bidding.  As I recall, you have a nodule in the right upper lobe of your lung that biopsies as adenocarcinoma.  Is that correct?

Suggestions on helping you quit smoking?  I tried every which way there was and nothing worked for me till I wanted to quit.  Then I found the courage to overcome the withdraw symptoms.  I might reinforce the importance by saying I cannot imagine drawing tobacco smoke into a lung with sutures in it.  If sutures break because of excessive coughing, you'll be in real trouble!  I'd also suggest, since you ask, that there is a vast difference between trying and achieving.  If you want to be a non-smoker, talk and act like a non smoker.

Another thing to think about is the surgeon's view on operating on a current smoker.  My thoracic surgeon would not.  You might have difficulty finding a surgeon who will operate because cigarette smoke is an irritant that will inflame an already inflamed lung and will complicate healing.

I don't want to add to your bundle of nerves, but you have lung cancer and smoking will complicate its treatment.  I wish there was a kinder, gentler way of communicating this information.  There is not and believe I owe you an unfettered understanding of the consequences of continued smoking.

I know you can stop.  Just do it!

Stay the course.

Tom

Great advice tom and i can relate to both of you because i smoked for almost 30yrs (started very young at 14 ) then many yrs later my mum got adenocarcinoma and had a lobectomy and had many complications including collapsed lung twice and needed a breathing tube put in her throat and put in an induced coma so she wouldnt move and she smoke up to that point ...i gave it up 17 yrs before my diagnosis and i think that helped me heal quickly so do it now and you will benefit from it and its true that you have to want to stop and not because you should ...you can do this we are all behind you

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Thank you all so much for responding. Yes Tom  I do have adenocarcinoma. I now have apt with surgeon May 11. They called this morning. At least things seem to be progressing now. I just have a lot of questions about the surgery, which I know can be answered at my appt. I have not been referred to an oncologist as of yet. Do you think this is necessary? Thanks for the support & encouragement!

Brenda,

Referral to an oncologist?  Absolutely!  This is a good time to find one.

You may need post surgical chemotherapy but even if you don't, you'll need to be checked and monitored after surgery to ensure your disease does not return.  A medical oncologist is the medical discipline that does this.

Stay the course.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...