New Here --- Mom Diagnosed in the Fall, Stage IV

Hi All,

I am a little late to the game...my mom was diagnosed last August/September with stage IIIa non-small cell lung cancer (+EGFR mutation). It came as a huge shock to all of us as she's a non-smoker and leads a relatively healthy lifestyle, aside from immense amounts of stress. Since that time, she's undergone a really rough course of chemo with heavy, heavy doses of cisplatin and horrific side effects. Despite aggressive treatment, she recently progressed to stage IV. She's qualified for a couple different clinical trials and is currently receiving targeted immunotherapy. For a while, I've avoided these groups because I was scared of what I might read, but I also feel like I should be doing as much reading as possible to best support her. I am in medicine myself, I am a pediatric resident, and have had a pretty hard time juggling my demanding work schedule with my mother's diagnosis. We agreed that while things were stable-ish, we would both keep working at our respective jobs. That being said, I worry that at any minute things could take a turn for the worse, in which case I would drop everything and be at her side. I am a big believer in God, but am doing a poor job at putting my faith in him and trusting that things will work out the way they are meant to. I'd really love some direction from anyone on here with experience, someone who might be able to provide me with a roadmap of what resources I should be looking into or ways to better support my mom. It feels like every morning I am waking up from a nightmare that turns out to be real life and I don't think it's something I'll ever get over (though I guess I don't expect to get over it honestly). Anyway, would again appreciate any words of wisdom.

Best,

M

Hello M

Sorry to hear about your mother especially  that she progressed to stage 4. 

I was Stage 3B.  My tumor in the apex of my RU lung was pressing on the lining of my lung and nerves that went down my arm.

I had Cisplatin and Etopiside, and Radiation, then surgery and more chemo and I know that is hard.  After a lot of treatment I am still here.

I am a retired RN  and went to school in Boston . We had residents from Harvard, Boston College and Boston University.  I know your life is busy.

Glad they test now for EGRF.  Having support, family , friends and all important.  Glad she has you.  Emotional and Spiritual  health also contribute

a lot to our ability to respond to treatment and contribute to our health.  We are more than just physical beings. 

Please keep us posted.

Donna G

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, M,

Welcome to LCSC. We've been thinking about you and your mom. How are you both doing? This community is a great place to connect with survivors and other caregivers who are going through similar situations. Please let us know if you have any questions or would like more information about LUNGevity's support and survivorship programs. We hope to hear from you soon.

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation