Blazemom Posted April 26, 2017 Share Posted April 26, 2017 Hello.I am new to this forum and am hoping to get some advice about my 84 year old father, who was recently diagnosed with Early Stage Small Cell lung cancer. A nodule was inadvertently discovered on his lung when he was in the hospital in January for a GI issue. He has since had several biopsies with the following results: He has a 2 cm tumor at the base of his left lung near the chest wall and another at the top of the left lung. There seems to be some discrepancy as to the size of this second tumor. All along we have been told this second one was very small. At the appointment with the Radiation Oncologist today, the doctor said it is 5 cm and did not offer a reasonable explanation for the change (it has not grown). So it is either very small or 5 cm. My dad also has some "areas of concern" in the right lung. They did not activate on the PET, and up to the time of our appointment with the Radiation Oncologist, we were told they would treat only the two left ones and just watch the right side, which were speculated to be probably just scar tissue from pneumonia. A Broncoscopy has also been done and determined there is no spread into the lymph nodes. My father isn't a candidate for surgery because of previous heart problems. We went to the appointment with the Radiation Oncologist today thinking my dad would be getting set up for a radiation treatment plan but that isn't what happen. This doctor said that if he were to do treatment, he would use something called Stereotactic Body Radiation but he expressed a lot of reservations about going forward because: (1) he isn't sure how to deal with my dad's defibrillator (whether to turn it off, move it, remove it, etc.); (2) he now believes it is necessary to biopsy the nodule on the right lung that is close to the chest wall near the esophagus; (3) he is concerned about the risks associated with this type of radiation, particularly the long term risk of Pneumonitis. We are currently getting a biopsy scheduled for the right lung now but whether it turns out to be cancer or not, it seemed to my mother and me that this doctor was saying he would probably hold off on treating my father in any case and take a wait and see approach. As for other types of treatment -- chemo, immunotherapy, targeted therapy -- he seemed to say my dad would not be a candidate unless the cancer becomes more advanced. This sounds like kind of a crazy approach to take, especially considering that my father is in an early stage of disease. He is currently completely asymptomatic and it seems that it would make the most sense to try to give him the best shot at recovery BEFORE it advances. I do understand this doctor's concerns but it's hard to believe there aren't other treatment options. We are at a top cancer hospital and were a little disappointed that none were offered. We are considering getting a second opinion but I wanted to ask for thoughts or guidance as well from others who are going through this. Thank you for any comments anyone may be able to share. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.