PET results.............

Angie Daughter of Bill

I took my Dad for PET results this morning. The pulmonary Dr. said that there is definite hilar lymph node involvement. There are two "spots" on his spine that are "inconclusive", but suspicious. I got the impression that the pulmonary Dr. wanted to give us lung information only..........he's leaving the rest to the oncologist, who we will see tomorrow afternoon. I understand that the pulmonary Dr.'s main concern is my Dad's lungs and his breathing, but this waiting is KILLING ME!!!!!!! The pulmonary Dr. said he would know about the stage of the lung cancer after the PET.........today he said he wants to consult with the oncologist before deciding. He made us feel like that there is bad news.............he just doesn't want to be the one to give it to us. I hope that it is just my imagination running wild with me. Hoping, praying, trying to live through this battle one day at a time.............Prayers for all of you!!!

Angie,

The pulmonary doctor is smart enough to know he isn't an oncologist.

I understand your frustration, but don't read too much into it.

It's a very good doctor who knows when to consult a doctor who knows more about a specialty.

From my understanding, there's something about the hilar node involvement that changes the staging... I think.

Wait to hear it from the onc.

And don't borrow trouble.

Prayers for your dad, and for your peace of mind...

XOXOX

MaryAnn

Angie,

Wait for the oncologist. Were the pulmonary doctor to say "I think I see something, yada, yada, yada..." prior to seeing the oncologist, you'd be just SICK with worry ...and more than pissed when the oncologist said something to the effect of "Yeah, seen one of them thar things before, it ain't nothin'". As MaryAnn said, don't borrow trouble...

...and excuse me while I giggle here, but patience just ain't something you can learn quickly! I've been playing the game over a year now and STILL haven't developed any of that! :wink:

Hang in there, keep the faith...and wait for the "expert".

Becky

We work with a pulmonologist and an oncologist as well, and it would be improper for the pulmonologist to comment on something out of his field, and spots on the spine quality. The onc should be the one giving opinions on that. This disease brings along a lot of waiting, and we need to learn to deal with that, or go bonkers. I chose to try and work on my patience, which is a hard task, but worth it nevertheless. As the caregiver, I have to work on my patience as well as my wife's. Good luck. Don

Angie,

I don't know what to say about the Drs. Those with more experience have given you what they know. I, too, am on pins and needles waiting, waiting and it ussed to help to take a nap, but I am having trouble sleeping so that doesn't work anymore. I need a new strategy and here's hoping you find one too, for your own sake. Give my love to your dad.

Elaine

Hi

Try not to second-guess the docs. It's very easy to read things (incorrectly) into what they say, or don't say. This just ends up causing even more anxiety. Like everyone else has said, wait to hear it from the horse's mouth, and in the meantime, focus on a positive outcome!!

All the best

Karen

Angie,

ok, so there is an upcoming battle, but its a battle that can be fought and won. Tell your dad to give it one good fight, then if things don't make some sort of turn around then you and he both know he gave it a real chance and you can come to an understanding about what to do with other than the best news.

thats what my dad has decided to do. one good shot and if it fails, then he did try for us and himself.

he would want the same from you if the tables were turned. I KNOW about the waiting. I am riding that same bus with you. I will save you a seat next to me.

Dear Angie,

I am so sorry you have to be here, but know that you have a great support system here...especially during the awful waiting periods. I know I hate the waiting. When my mom was diagnosed her pulmonologist gave her the dreaded news, but nothing more. He then referred her to her oncologist. Not because it meant anything bad, it was out of his realm of expertise. My mom sees her oncologist and pulmonologist (and also saw her radiation oncologist). The battle is a team effort and it is good to bring in the ones with the expertise when needed. I know the waiting is difficult and stressful. I did a lot of journaling during these times, it helped me get my thoughts out (at least to try and slow them from consuming all my waking moments). Blessings to you. I will be praying for your father.

Andrea B.