Home now--crepitus after surgery?

LexieCat

Well, surgery turned out to be more or less a breeze--very little pain.  But last night I told nurses my glands felt swollen--nurse advised doctor, and I'm told it is "crepitus"--air bubbles that work their way up as a result of air leak.  Surgeon saw me this morning and told me it should resolve on its own but if it gets worse to come back and they might need another chest tube or something.  I'm still a bit fuzzy from pain meds, so not a hundred percent sure on what he said they would do.  Apparently it can cause problems if it travels too far up or becomes too difficult for swallowing/talking.

Anyone else have that experience?

I have followup with surgeon on Tuesday, and he says we should have pathology results by then, for formal diagnosis/staging.  

Overall, though, feeling pretty good.  I'm glad to have the cancer out--now have fingers crossed for good pathology report.  Hoping for 1a!

Oh yes, I had that problem.

My crepitus after my second surgery was so prevalent that the doctor made surgical incisions in my chest and a team of nurses squeezed all the air out of me.  This occurred while I was in the ICU and hooked up to a morphine push.  They hit the push and I watched them manipulate all the air out of me. My wife asked them to keep the air in because she said my face looked 10 years younger.  The air swelling removed all my wrinkles!

I indeed hope your are "one and done."

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks, all--well, it's hard to tell whether the crepitus has gotten worse, though it doesn't seem to be getting any better.   I have a visiting nurse coming to change dressing today so I can have a shower, and I'll see what she thinks.  I don't wanna have to be dealing with a possible re-admission on the weekend, so if I decide to go back to have this dealt with, I'll do it this afternoon.  My surgeon said he was releasing me as I was then ONLY because he trusted me to call if it got any worse.  Judging by some of the images online about the severe cases, I certainly don't want it to get to that point.  I can hear the "crunchy" sounds every time I clench my jaw, and I look like a chipmunk with the mumps.  Would be annoying to have to go back but best to have it looked at.

Oh, and in other news, I took an oxycodone last night but today took only Tylenol and pain is very manageable.  I'm doing my breathing exercises and I'm coughing easily.  So it's just the crunchies that are bothering me.  

I was recently diagnosed myself with Stage 1A, no nodes and no spreading.  I also was a long time smoker.  I had a VATS which removed a mass in my RUL.  CT scans every 3 months for 2 years then every 6 months for 3 years if all goes well.  My doctor is very optimistic and I was back at the gym within 2 weeks.  I hope once this crepitus clears up for you that you can begin to get back to your routines.  Best wishes.

Marian

So shortly after my last post I was re-admitted with my neck, face & chest all swollen up.  They put in a chest tube and I'm slowly deflating. That's what I get for describing the surgery as a breeze. Waiting for surgeon to come by, but expect I won't be going home for another day or two. 

So very sorry to hear of your readmission.  A chest tube will likely solve the problem.  Let's hope it does so quickly so you can return home.

Stay the course.

Tom

FINALLY got cut loose for the SECOND time this afternoon.  Almost all of the crepitus is gone, though a touch of "crunchiness" is still detectable at the bottom of my neck and in collarbone area.  They sent me home with a chest tube (one of the skinny ones) in place, along with a pneumostat that will collect the fluid and allow me to drain it off as it accumulates.  It also allows for the tube to be pinched off (as a "trial" of removal), to ensure that swelling has stopped even if no further draining.  

This second go-round was WAY more unpleasant than the original surgery--instead of the nice, new wing of the hospital, I was in the old one, where I shared a room with an elderly lady who was very nice but had the TV on ALL the time.  I had to have two chest x-rays today before the doc was satisfied it was safe to send me home.  I think we were totally on the same page that the third time might be the charm, but was something to be avoided if humanly possible.  In any event, as bad as the swelling eventually got the first night back in the hospital, I'm VERY glad I didn't postpone going back in.  

So my review of my surgical experience is mixed--I'm WAY certain that even with the complication it was less onerous than the "open" thoracic surgery.  If it weren't for the crepitus, which apparently isn't all that common--at least not to that degree, it would have been virtually a piece of cake.  I'm breathing quite easily now, and trying to stick with Tylenol for pain, since the oxy wound up making me sick to my stomach.  

Doc promised he'd call with the path results as soon as he gets them this week.  He's hoping for tomorrow.  Fingers still crossed!

ETA: As further evidence that the standard of care was *ahem* a bit less on this go-round, I was walking out of the hospital when the security guard gave me a funny look and asked, "Are you SPOSED to have that thing on your hand?"  They had forgotten to remove my IV port!  By that time I'd been stuck with so many things I didn't even notice their failure to remove it!