Unexpected News

lily55

I recently introduced myself in the "Introduce Yourself Here" forum, here is a short synopsis: my name is CJ and I was diagnosed with NSCLC in August of 2016. I did oral chemo, Alectinib, for four months then moved on to IV chemo and radiation for 6 weeks. Had issues with coughing up blood due to my bronchial artery being torn by one of the tumors. They attempted to repair it but it did not work so they were discussing whether to remove part or all of my left lung. Had a PET scan on 6/30 and my team was going to meet at their weekly "tumor board" and discuss my case and I was supposed to hear a recommendation yesterday from the surgeon. Well, I did not hear from them yesterday but I had an appointment with my oncologist today. He said there was new activity on my PET scan in my left axillary lymph nodes and they need to do a mammogram and breast biopsy. If that is negative there was also increased activity in the lymph nodes of my left hilum so they will then biopsy that. Depending on what the results of the biopsies are they will determine a course of treatment; Alectinib for a positive axillary biopsy and surgery for a positive hilum biopsy...I'm still processing everything cause I was not expecting to have to have a breast biopsy and I'm in a bit of shock.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, CJ,

Welcome to LCSC. I'm sorry that you've been through so much. We're glad you've joined this community. We are here for you if you have questions or if you're looking for information/resources.

Please keep us posted on your biopsy results!

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

• 1 month later...

Hi all-

Sorry it's been so long since I posted. Since my original posting I had two biopsies, one of the armpit/breast area and another of my lung. Luckily they both came back normal! I was so relieved to find this out. My oncologist says I am now in maintenance/monitoring scanning. Since I found this out I have been very busy spending time with family and friends, going back to a "normal" lifestyle. Now I just need to focus on building up my lung function so I can get back to an active lifestyle again. Thanks all for your thoughts and posts, it means a lot to know there's a community out there to turn to. I hope others are having luck and getting some good news as well!

Hi, Lilly,

I'm very glad to read your good news! And I'm happy that you've been able to spend so much quality time with the people you love doing the things you love.

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation