Hello

Staci Lyn

My name is Staci Lyn. My Dad was diagnosed with cancer last October. He has a tumor in his lung, cancer in his liver and cancer in his abdomen. They are still not sure exactly what kind. All we know for sure is that it is non small cell.

My Dad has always been a big man and today is less than 180lbs. It is very hard to watch him waste away and go through the emotional things that he is.

Where we live there is really no support for any of this, for him or us. A friend found your board for me.

Dad has refused chemo as his chances were less than 30% with it and he didn't want to be sick for his last days.

UUmm, I am terrible talking and introducing out of the blue. LOL

I am off to read more posts. Thanx for being here.

Staci Lyn

Staci Lyn,

Welcome to the family, glad you found us! Sorry to hear about your dad's disease.

Drop a line anytime, there's usually SOMEONE on the board that's "been there, done that" and can offer some pretty good advice, hint, shoulder rub, etc.

Isn't much for support where I am, either. (Not QUITE the Alaska experience, but no one that is going through anything near what I am...I moved back "home" from Fairbanks in 1999.) This board is the best thing I stumbled on to when researching my disease...

Again, welcome!

Becky

Staci,

I am so sorry you had to seek us out, but very glad you found us. This is a special place full of special people. There is a wealth of information and support here, so, since you're in an area without much support, please stay with us.

I'm in a similar situation as your Dad. I, too, decided not to activily treat my cancer, prefering instead to concentrate on HOW I live my life rather than HOW LONG I live. Any insight I may have into what your Dad is going through I'll be happy to share. I can't say I can answer all the questions I know you and your Dad have, but if I can I will.

Dean

Welcome Stacy Lyn. I hope you find all the support you need here. This disease is not easy but I hope we can make your walk a little easier, we all need to support each other. Again welcome Donna G

Hello Staci Lyn! (What a pretty name!)

So sorry about your Dad, my heart goes out to you. My husband is a big man too, 6ft 5 1/2 and was almost always over 200lbs, (a big presence in our lives in more ways than one!,) and it was terrible to see him lose so much weight so suddenly.

Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your Dad and family.

Paddy

Hey there Staci Lyn.

Welcome, and I think your intro was just fine.

Three types of cancer patients: those that become depressed and give up hope; those that fight like mad doing and trying everything that may help prolong life, and those that accept their fate, choosing to maintain a certain quality of life over drug and theraputic intervension. Everyone chooses his or her own path. Your father has chosen his. You say there is no support where you live. Have you shown your father this message board? (Some caregivers do all the message board work without involving the prime stakeholder in this nightmare.) Whether he's computer literate or not, I think he would benefit through the interaction with people on this board -- especially with those who have chosen the same path to walk as your father. He may enjoy walking with someone like Dean, who is, so it seems, in the same pair of shoes. I'm sure they would have much to talk about.

It can be a very lonely path to walk. I know. It took 25 years for me to find support through this message board. Up until then, I had never spoken to anyone who had lung cancer before. (I didn't know what I was

missing :lol:) Hope things work out for the best. Take care.

David P.