New Here

Wheezer

Hello, I just found this support group and I am not sure how it works other than giving support to other patients.  I have lung cancer - found out a year ago June 15, 2016 - can't forget that it was my husband and mine 15th anniversary.  Well I had ademacarcinoma (sp?) non cell lung cancer.  I chose radiation - three high doses in 12 days.  I sailed through with no problem other than exhaustion and that continues to this day.  I go for my next CT Scan this Monday morning and to visit the cancer dr on Wed.  I had my breathing tests done yesterday which left me exhausted.  Anyway, enough about me.  I very much want to meet you all and learn about your journey dealing with cancer.

Welcome. Hopefully you won't be needing much support for yourself. You had only radiation 14 months ago and no treatment since? How often have you had scans and is your status NED? Cured? Stable? You must be anxious about changes on your scan Monday. Let us know your results after your appointment Wednesday. I hope you get a good report. Cindy

Hi there, and welcome!  I had a nodule that was discovered through screening, while it was (fortunately) quite small--when the nodule had grown since the scan the year before, I had a lobectomy (July 10) and I, too, am now on a surveillance protocol.  I opted not to have chemo (surgeon was strongly opposed to chemo in my case and my oncologist was neutral, but was just fine with my decision to forego it).  I won't have my first post-op CT scan until late November, and I know I'll be nervous, too, even though I'm feeling great and reasonably confident about my decision.

Hopefully yours will be good news!

Teri

I get my CT Scans every three months - tomorrow maybe the last for six months if all tests results from that and breathing test results come back good.  Otherwise it remains every three months.  I'm no on any medicine for the cancer and as far as radiation - cancer was killed when the third radiation was administered.  We're just waiting for the shell to shrink and disappear entirely. 

I still worry - what if it comes back and worse - what if I need to have part of my lung taken out - so many what ifs

Welcome Wheezer.

It sounds like you're doing well. There are always "what ifs" with this disease. I had my lower right lobe taken out in November. I had VATS (video assisted surgery).    I currently am NED (no evidence of disease). So now I'm in the "what if it comes back" stage. But I'm doing well, living my life, traveling, enjoying myself. Having cancer has impressed on my that it's important not to waste my time with worry, but to take advantage of every day, every hour. None of us knows how long we have to live. This is true whether we have cancer or not. Cancer just made it clearer to me. Of course, I still worry some. I think it's inevitable, but I usually don't let it get me down.

Best of luck to you, Wheezer. This site is a good place to get support and information.

Bridget O 

Wheezer,

I'm nearing 14 years of life after diagnosis and treatment and I still get a once-a-year scan.  Unless new technology is found to replace CT scans, I'll likely have one for the rest of my life. Like Bridget, I worry also but I also am surfing my NED (no evidence of disease) by doing things I enjoy.

I do hope yours is a clean scan and look forward to your announcement.  You are indeed most welcome here!

Stay the course.

Tom

Wheezer,

I'm only 18 months into this journey but I don't think the "what ifs" ever go away.  I'm on the 90 day scan routine so I'm good for about 75 or 80 days then the "what ifs" hit me.  I had a recurrence earlier this year and am on the scanning end of that episode.  I hope your scans continue to be good news.