Neck glands

StephanieK

Hi, I'm new here. I found out 3 months ago that I have lung cancer. Stage 3. One of the nodes in the centre of my chest is also cancerous. My glands in my neck are always swollen and I'm wondering if anyone else has the same? I was told there was no other cancer anywhere else. I will be asking my doctor at my next visit of course, but would like it hear from anyone that is the same. Thanks in advance.

Stephanie,

Welcome here.

Let me try and understand your questions. Was your cancer diagnosed as Stage 3 A or Stage 3 B? Do you have a tumor in the lung and also indications of cancer in a lymph node?  Have you had a biopsy yet and did the biopsy confirm the tumor and lymph node finding? What test was used to rule out your not having cancer anywhere else?

Swollen glands in the neck can occur for many reasons and it is possible to have cancer and swollen neck glands without the swollen neck glands being cancerous.  I often get swollen neck glands when fighting a cold or flu, for example.

Take a step at answering my questions and I'll try and help you understand.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the reply. I have stage 3A non-small cell lung cancer. I have had the biopsy done and just today found out that 2 of the nodes in the centre of my chest are cancerous. The doctor also said that there was something suspicious in behind my nose area. I also had a PET scan done.

Stephanie,

Ok -- hang in there.  The pathology examination of the biopsied tissue should allow your doctor to diagnose the type of lung cancer you have.  Here is some information on lung cancer types.  The PET scan will be an indication of where the cancer has spread, if anywhere.  A PET scan is a diagnosing imaging test.  Here is information about PET scans and how they work.

Once the type of lung cancer is identified (from the biopsy) and the extent (from the PET scan), your doctor can formulate a treatment plan.  Let us know the results of your tests and the doctor's suggested treatment plan.  I know waiting is hard (I've been there) but a successful treatment plan requires identification of both the type and stage of lung cancer.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Stephanie,

Just wanted to check in and see if you have your CT results. If you have any more questions once you have the results of your tests and more information about your treatment plan. I hope that you can get some answers soon. We're here for you when you're ready.

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation