Pet scan results

bes

Just received pet scan results the cancer has not spread to the brain or other organs and is confined to the right lung but the mass is large

5.4x 2.1cm  with osseous erosion in the right posterior fifth rib and another nodule in the upper right lung 2.2 x 1.4 cm.  I am able to get results from our medical portal so

we have yet to hear from the Dr. but I did see where it was listed as stage iv. I do not know what the next step will be my hubby has severe copd and the dr had talked about palliative radiation.

I have been upset all day trying not to cry in front of my husband but every little thing sets me off--on top of all this he fell last Friday on his left chest and now that hurts and the pet scan showed minimally displaced rib fractures--don't know what that is.

Bes,

How could you not be upset?  Ok - a must do for your list.  Your husband will likely take narcotic pain medication to control rib fracture pain (was he not allergic to tramadol?). Try and keep him in bed or sitting -- actually sitting in a recliner or in bed with an elevated angle pillow may be a good idea. Ensure he asks for help if he needs to walk somewhere.  His meds may make him dizzy and you do not want another fall.

You should have an appointment to discuss results of PET scan and likely there will be several treatment plans offered.  COPD may limit choices but will not preclude treatment.  

I suggest a one-step-at-a-time approach.  Deal with his rib fracture pain now.  Deal with the rest later.  OBTW - I think a minimally displaced rib fracture is just what it says.  A fracture with a small amount of displacement.  I assume he is seeing a doctor other than his oncologist for treatment of his rib fracture.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks for the reply Tom his primary Dr. switched his medication to Vicodin/with Tylenol after viewing the pet scan results and seeing the fractures and again he is sick to his stomach this morning and the pain has not subsided; we are at a loss as to what the next move is we don't know if the pain is from the rib fractures or the cancer he tells me it feels as though his whole chest hurts. If no better when he wakes up he is calling oncologist to see what he might think--perhaps we can get an appointment to see him sooner.

Hi Bes,

Good idea to follow up with the oncologist ASAP. You might also consider recontacting the primary who prescribed the vicodin. Whatever the source of pain, your husband should be able to get relief. You might consider asking for a referral to palliative care. Here's some information about that https://www.lungevity.org/for-patients-caregivers/lung-cancer-101/treatment-options/palliative-care. To be clear, palliative care is not the same as hospice. It is to help get relief from symptoms of a serious disease and from side effects of treatment.A person can get palliative care while they are getting curative treatment.  

My thoughts are with you.

Bridget O