Brain MRI

bes

My husband is scheduled this Tuesday for a MRI of the brain. I talked with the radiologist Thursday and she said she was going out of town for a week and wanted to get all calculations completed before she leaves including the mass they are going to radiate.  Well a few days went by in all this fuzziness and I just realized that she was also talking about the possibility of brain mets.  I'm concerned now because we don't want any brain radiation done until we talk with the dr.  we don't even know what's involved yet or even if he has mets.  I know she was trying to cover all bases so treatment could start as soon possible but we are hesitant.  What questions should we be asking the dr. and I read online if he has mets that WBRT is really no good and doesn't increase survival time that meds can be given to cope with symptoms.  I will be the one asking the questions as my husband seems to be fuzzy headed from the meds and just sits there(and of course I am checking his every move for brain met symptoms--is this one of them?).  I feel so overwhelmed.  He was going to tell his sons this week but now has postponed until he has info from testing on Tuesday.

Hi Bes. I understand your concerns about radiation as I share them, too. The professionals do say that the radiation exposure is very low with the MRI. Personally, any exposure concerns me. I have what are believed to be primary tumors in each lung, and underwent Cyberknife treatment to both this past spring and early summer. It will be February before we know if the tumors are gone.

Others on this site may disagree with me, but if you are feeling rushed by the radiologist and want to first discuss the MRI with the oncologist, I believe that you should trust your instincts. I have been the caregiver, and now the patient, and I understand the challenges you face. I certainly can't give you advice, but I would suggest that if you and your husband have the opportunity to consult with a thoracic oncologist (not just a medical oncologist with a "special interest" in lung cancer), it might bring greater peace of mind. I know it has for me.

Good luck, and I send blessings to you both.

Katie Kremer

It was a grueling 2hr test for my husband but it's over -now we wait for results today or tomorrow.  It was a long day appointment in the morning for mapping for radiation and 2hrs later the MRI.  He was exhausted by the time we got home it was a long day and still no pain relief call has been made this morning to see what can be done the Vicodin is making him sleep all the time and makes him fuzzy headed a feeling he hates but I don't know what else he can try.  Radiation treatments start on Nov 1st.

Bes,

I hope for the best test results and the MRI clears his brain of tumors.  MRIs, by the way, to not emit radiation.  The test uses electromagnetic fields to map tissue but it is indeed difficult to endure.

Vicodin is a powerful narcotic and sleep and disorientation are typical.  So is constipation so prepare ahead by starting laxitives for that discomfort.  You have 7 days left till radiation treatments start and radiation will quickly address the pain.  Hang in there.

Stay the course.

Tom

Bes,

I think you said it best when you said the 2 hour test for your husband is grueling.  The entire cancer journey is grueling, for all of us involved. For that I am so very sorry.  I understand pain, my mom has had pain throughout her 2 lung cancer diagnoses. One thing that I have learned is to begin taking a laxative or fiber to keep things regular since it sounds like your husband has been an maybe taking narcotics for a bit. I've also learned through my mom that her pain was relieved rather quickly when she underwent radiation.  I hope that is the case for your husband as well.

With my mom's diagnosis of NSCLC recurrence, it has seemed like it's been an uphill battle for several months.  But I can tell you that she has finally plateaued for now.  With the treatment options available to your husband, I bet he will have a plateau in his battle as well.

I wish you both the best. Take care.

We got good news yesterday no mets to the brain.  Dr. is prescribing another medication for the pain--stronger he said it still might make him sleepy.  I certainly hope the radiation eases the pain he starts this Tuesday--does anyone know how long it usually takes for pain relief I know everyone is different but trying to get a general idea.  He told me yesterday no pain on the left side where he had rib fractures from the fall--that's good too.

Thanks for all the good thoughts

Hooray! Things are looking up!  I hope that the two of you can have a restful weekend after receiving good results.

Like you said, reaction to radiation is different for everyone.  My mom was dealing with a very small area that was being radiated and her pain was much less after the first week or so (5-7 sessions).  She was also receiving chemo while receiving radiation.