Pain

bes

I certainly hope the course of radiation my husband starts this Wednesday eliminates some of the pain it is hard for me to watch this everyday--the pain the pills the sleeping all day he told me yesterday he was not going to live like this--I feel for him yet there is nothing in this world I can do but watch and support--it's a effort to even get him to eat and I tried the other day to get him to weigh himself without success--how stupid of me I can see the weight loss but I guess I needed validation.  I hate this disease and the obvious outcome. He insist on being as independent as he can so today he is driving himself to the simulation appointment without me-says he needs space.  I don't know what I would do without to place to express my thoughts everyone is so welcoming.

Hi, Bes.  I'm so sorry for what you and your husband are dealing with.  I agree - I hate this disease. I lost my grandmother to it in 2010 and now I'm fighting it.  It's the total lack of control that makes me crazy.  It's my understanding, though, that radiation will bring some pain relief. Let us know how he's doing, and let us know how we can help both of you.

Bes,

Full disclosure -- I rebelled against my wife's best caregiver actions also.  Before cancer, I was a self-reliant, problem solving kind of guy.  I neither wanted or needed help.  After diagnosis and after my initial melt down driven by fear, my wife rode to the rescue.  As I recovered some of my faculties, I tried to assert my independence.  Understandably, it was 53 years of self reliance up against this "little cancer problem" that I mistakenly considered to be an easy fix.  Thankfully, Martha was there to rescue me then my go-it-alone attempt failed miserably.

So he may want space and may think he needs space, but he'll likely realize this is a short lived phenomena.  I'm sure you'll be there to rescue him from his quest for independence.

I experienced a great deal of pain during treatment and still live with high levels of chronic pain. After three thoracic surgeries in rapid succession, I lived on narcotic medication.  But like your husband, I didn't do much living.  I needed the narcotics but as I recovered, I realized, with help from my wife, that I needed to devise a strategy for tolerating pain without narcotics.  We worked together with my GP and found it was possible to get through the day but sleeping proved the challenge.  My doctor cycled through prescription sleep medication that worked for a time but we settled on a variable dose of antidepressant medication (Xanax) taken shortly before bedtime.  Most of the time, it makes me drowsy enough to fall asleep despite the pain.  Occasionally, I need to take narcotics and often, I don't fall asleep till very early in the morning.  My GP's best prescription for not sleeping was to not schedule morning activities and to take a nap if tired.  I cannot lead a "regular life", a life like everyone else with my chronic pain condition, but I do a lot of living.  If I need to attend a morning appointment and don't get adequate sleep the night before, I look forward to a nap.

I am confident radiation will reduce your husband's pain symptoms but not completely.  As for eating, try ice cream, lots of ice cream!  During chemotherapy, I lived on Oreo chocolate mint ice cream and cranberry juice.  Mint flavor and a tart taste were palatable to my chemo-effected taste buds.  

Stay the course.

Tom 

First treatment yesterday and last night was not good he was in more pain than before and awake most of the night;  I am at a lost of what to do next take a wait and see attitude or call the dr.  In a hour we will be leaving for the next treatment; hope this is a better day.

Bes,

It will take some time before radiation takes effect.  I think he'll notice a marked reduction in pain in about a week.  Radiation treatments have a progressive effect on cancer tumors and the dose rate needs to be carefully regulated to avoid damage to other tissue and organs.  Thus the lag in response.

If no improvement after 5 treatments, I'd get his doctor involved.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Bes,

My mom had breast cancer and had bone mets to her spine/pelvis. She had palliative radiation which was very effective in relieving her pain. I'm not suforere how many treaments she had before she got relief, but it did work. I hope that your husband's treatment is equally successful. I'm thinking of both of you.

Bridget O

I feel like a repeat things are no better today and I'm having a meltdown.  Had to call Dr. today he was having chills and running a low grade fever plus very unsteady walking.  He is on Tylenol now and if the fever peaks 102 I must take him to ER.  He hasn't eaten anything since yesterday afternoon but the doctors seem more concerned with his balance issues could possibly be that he is not getting enough oxygen to his brain.  I don't see how my husband is going to do chemo he has had only 3 radiation treatments and is not doing well at all.

The oxycodone he is turning him from Mr. Nice to Mr. Nasty Nasty and I took the full brunt of it last night until I couldn't take it any more got up and went to bed to only have to get back up and help him into bed.  Today he lost his balance bumped into the gas range and accidently turned on the gas it smelled awful--I only went into the garage came back in and there he was leaning on the counter with a blank look he didn't even shut the gas off.  The whole day has been like this he was supposed to be doing the nebulizer he fell asleep with the medication in his hand and the nebulizer in his mouth with no meds.  Got that fixed and then later he has the oxygen line on top of his head instead of in his nose.  I'm exhausted.  I have fixed meals today that he requested only to be asked :"why did you fix that I didn't ask for that". 

So we have two days of no radiation I have really hoping for a better weekend.

Oh my Bes. Have you considered a hospital admission? Your problem set description suggests a need for medical professionals administering treatment (nebulizer, O2, and perhaps nutrition). 

I well understand your meltdown. I wish I had a way to lift you from this mayhem. Lung cancer just sucks!

Stay the course. 

Tom

Archived