Scared here

Guest DavidA

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All Saw surgeon this morning going to have a rigid bronch next wednesday, if my blood counts allow, asked what is causing the obstruction, he told me it was most likely a tumor, for some reason it is very upsetting to me to think that the cancer is migrating away from might right lung, so I got a good 45 minute cry out of it on the way home. I don't get emotionally upset about my disease much anymore, but I did sit on the pity pot for a few minutes, just wanted another damn answer then tumor!

Ty all. David

David,

Hang in there. Fatigue and frustration play into one's fears many a time. Do not allow your anxiety to magnify this beyond what it is. Worrying can't change what it is, anyway, it can only get you all upset. Could it be a benign fibrous tumor? or do you know it's a met from the original?

Wait until you find out, and then figure out where to go from there.

I know the kids, much as we love em, can be at their worst at the worst times! They know how to pick em...

Know that you're in our prayers,

XOXOX

MaryAnn

Hey David,

Just going to send you some HUGS (((((((((DAVID))))))))))! You had your pitty party, (that's good), you had a good cry (again, GOOD) you were scared(understandable), now it's HUG TIME!!! And Back on the Road again we GO!!! Up and down and Up and down, and Up and down, We're riding with you my friend! (((((((((((((((((DAVID))))))))))))))

Love, Support and Hugs,

Connie

Hi David,

I IM'ed you... then I found this message. I am sorry that the surgeon thought it might be a tumor -- I am still praying that Dr. K is right and that it is fibrous material and that a stent willl solve the problem. I will keep the prayers coming and wait for news.

Lisa

David,

When you sit on that pity pot, don't forget to flush! :roll:

Here's hoping you're gagging on my Oreos and bad jokes...right here beside you, all the way! (Just so I can make rabbit ears over your head in pictures...)

Take care, and thanks for keeping us informed.

Becky

David, if it's a tumor blocking one of the larger airways, photodynamic therapy might be a good choice. This may be the laser treatment referred to in prior posts, I'm not sure. Anyway, it works because the tumor selectively retains a photosensitizing drug which, when illuminated by the laser, becomes toxic and kills the tumor with minimal damage to surrounding tissue. People feel better within 1-2 days of treatment. The downsides are that it can cause weeks of tumor breakdown, sloughing off tumor into the airway. But if your airway is already completely or almost completely blocked, that shouldn't bother you. The other disadvantage is several weeks of skin and eye phototsensitivity - extreme photosensitivity.

I've treated 50+ people with four physician colleagues at a Portland hospital. If you need info on PDT, please feel welcome to ask. I wrote a website covering basic information on PDT some time ago (like 1999), but the treatment has not changed. If you're interested, here it is: http://omlc.ogi.edu/pdt/ptinfo/lungca/lungpdt.html

Best wishes to you. Hoping it's just fibrous tissue and all this is useless to you, Teresa

Hi Friends,Tomorrow 2/18 supposed to have a rigid bronchscopy, with dliation , possible stint and biopsy(hopefullly benign). I have had laryagiytis for the last few weeks this morning my throat is so sore, my wife looked at it before work and said it didnt look too good. So I have a Dr appt at 11 am to have it looked at.

Finally got off my butt and have a 2nd opinion for next week at Karmonos cancer center in Detroit, my wife isn't 100% behind me in my decision I don't feel, as she works at the hospital where I have had all my treatments, and it is a good cancer center and hospital. It is just this time I seem to be having mor and more complications and it appears the lc is spreading and I still have about 55 more years to live and want to be comfortable.

Thanks for listening!

Praying for us all(even DaveG)

David, I am so sorry that I havn't seen your post until today, don't know where my head is. Anyway, if you feel the need for a second opinion, than please get one. You don't want to be caught in the 'what if' mode in the future. I am sure your wife will understand.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Oh, by the way, I can totally understand including DaveG in your prayers-the rat/dog however, well, that would be different. :lol:

Please take care David, we'll be here a'wating for you! Deb

Dear DavidA,

I will continue my prayers for you, along with all the survivors. Try to remain optimistic, hopeful and a believer. You are a fighter!

I am not sure if you have had a bronch before or not. Of all the procedures Sam had, it was not the worst for him. He had at least four that I am sure of. The procedure is done with conscious sedation, meaning you should not feel or remember anything, yet not unconscious as is with general surgery. (Perhaps I should say this is how Sam's were.) Bronchial washings and a biopsy, if possible, are done but, it is usually several days before the path report is complete. This waiting is the hard part. While the surgeon may say what he thinks he saw, I can tell you that a respected pulmonogolist at Emory/Crawford Long Hospital (they are one in the same now), told me after finishing a bronch on Sam,

"his eyes saw cancer". However, it turned out to be aspergillis when the path reports were completed. That was our last visit to him.

I do NOT want to be a alarmist. Having said that, for much of December Sam continued to say how badly he felt. Yet, no one, including me, knew really and truly knew how badly he was feeling. Go with that gut feeling if you think something is not quite right. TELL your docs how you feel and do not consider it whining.

Please keep us informed after tomorrow.

God bless us all,

Sam'swifeShirley