Scared here

Guest DavidA

David -- I hope everything goes well tomorrow -- you will be in my thoughts!

I've seen several people mention a new type of laser treatment for tumors in the chest being performed in Detroit. If I am not mistaken, they are doing the same type of treatment in a study through the University of Pennsylvania. Here is an older article below, but I recently heard that the Pulminology Group at Penn is doing some "novel" approaches using lasers for LC.

Photodynamic Therapy - Lighting Up the Treatment of Cancer

R. Alex Hsi, MD and Stephen Hahn, MD

Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania

Posting Date: June 23, 1997

Last Reviewed: November 1, 2001

Photodynamic therapy (PDT) is a novel approach to the treatment of cancer which holds promise as a primary or adjunctive therapeutic modality. It works by exposing a photosensitizing drug to specific wavelengths of light in the presence of oxygen. When this reaction occurs, the normally innocuous photosensitizing drug becomes cytotoxic via an activated species of oxygen, known as "singlet oxygen." The observation that these drugs are preferentially retained by tumor cells makes them an ideal agent for anti-cancer treatment.

PDT has been tried since the 1970's with mixed success. The main drawback was the lack of good photosensitizing drugs with tolerable side effects. However, in the past few years, there has been an explosion of new drugs that have been developed with better side effect profiles. In addition, these newer drugs are activated at higher wavelengths of light (in the near infrared region of the UV spectrum) which allows for deeper tissue penetration and thus more effective tumor cell killing. Armed with an array of different drugs with a spectrum of light absorbing characteristics, as well as improved laser technology to deliver the light, oncologists have more flexibility to treat a multitude of different cancers throughout the body. Among the possible targets for PDT are tumors of the brain, head and neck, breast, esophagus, lung, pleural cavity, ovary, abdominal cavity, bladder, prostate, cervix and skin.

Currently, PDT has been approved by the FDA to treat obstructing esophageal tumors, microinvasive lung cancer, and obstructing lung cancer. At the University of Pennsylvania, under the direction of Drs. Stephen Hahn, Jim Metz, and Eli Glatstein, a major project has been launched to investigate the applications of PDT on the basic science and clinical level. A treatment program for obstructing esophageal tumors as well as a Phase II study of disseminated intraperitoneal malignancies are already underway. The intraperitoneal study includes patients with recurrent or persistent ovarian cancer, sarcoma or gastrointestinal malignancies who have failed standard treatment regimens. Clinical trials for mesothelioma and malignant pleural effusions are also underway. A protocol for treating patients with locally recurrent prostate cancer after radiotherapy will begin in the year 2000. In the laboratory,studies to address various technical questions of drug and light delivery are being examined.

As this technique is developed and refined, we believe PDT may provide a new and potent weapon in the fight against cancer.

Heather

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bronch is on, a rigid bronch so I will be put under local nothing new on that it is my 12th or 13 the one . the only thing new is I never had one when I was taking chemo and an added complication is that I have thrush in my mouth , throat tongue and lips. it kinds concerns me as I sure don't want that fungus in my lungs.

Plus it is a new surgeon (to me) doing it as my orginal surgeon moved to Iowa to become a corn farmer or something.

Supposed to be an outaptient procedure, but I'm going prepared , taking my own PJ and toothbrush, hospitals don't fit me well.

I'm somewhat nervous, but I know I have lots of support and prayers here as well as from my family and friends outside of here.

David A

Praying for us all(even DaveG!)

The Bronch is on, a rigid bronch so I will be put under local nothing new on that it is my 12th or 13 the one . the only thing new is I never had one when I was taking chemo and an added complication is that I have thrush in my mouth , throat tongue and lips. it kinds concerns me as I sure don't want that fungus in my lungs.

Plus it is a new surgeon (to me) doing it as my orginal surgeon moved to Iowa to become a corn farmer or something.

Supposed to be an outaptient procedure, but I'm going prepared , taking my own PJ and toothbrush, hospitals don't fit me well.

I'm somewhat nervous, but I know I have lots of support and prayers here as well as from my family and friends outside of here.

David A

Praying for us all(even DaveG!)

Be Prepared - GOOD MOTTO!

Seems when I give in and take "accessories" I don't need 'em. Kinda like insurance, ya know? The heavier they are to carry, the less likely it is I'll need 'em....my suggestion is to put a bowling ball in that bag so you are SURE to go home right afterwards! :wink:

Maybe while running the tube down your throat the doc can coat your thrush and flush it out...that would be a good thing...

Thoughts are with you. Call me if you want to talk to a psychotic snowflake on the verge of annointing an ex-wife with Preparation H to make her just go away...pain in my - well, anyhow!

Best of everything from me to you!

Becky

We are the same age, at least in years. I am new at this LC stuff and I wish neither of us were here in this forum. Wish rather we had met on a plane or were next door neighbors or co-workers. But that is not what happened. I will keep you in my thoughts tomorrow and all days ahead. If you need someone to talk to, PM me or send me your phone number. Do what you need to do for you.

In my thoughts,

Elaine

I will be hoping all goes well tomorrow and the obstruction is benign or just thrush. I like Becky's suggestion of coating it while you're under -wonder if that's possible. I will be thinking of you, hang in there.

The second opinion is a good thing. Keep us all posted. Take care David~

Your partner in crime,

Rochelle

David - am praying for you - you will be in our minds all day tomorrow!

Waiting to hear the GOOD NEWS soon!!

Pam

(can't log in for some reason and too tired to try figuring it out...)