Welcome to the Just for Fun forum!!!

Steff

Today is the day - the grand re-opening of the Just For Fun forum!

Are you excited? I am!!!

I thought the first fun thing we should do is an activity to get to know each other a bit better.  We are all pretty familiar with our cancer stuff, but what about EVERYTHING else about us - the FUN stuff?  So, my proposal this week in order to have some fun or a good laugh is to list 3-5 things about yourself (the funnier/more obscure the better!).  Of those 3-5 things, include something that is untrue. It will be our job to decide which things are true and which one is untrue.  

I will start things off as an example.  I am going to list 5 things about myself and 1 of them will be untrue. Your job is to decide which one is untrue and respond to my post.  I will then let folks know the truth later on in the week.

Here we go....

1.  I am a fisher-woman and own my own boat.

2. I once unknowingly ate lunch at Arby's next to Washington's governor at the time.

3. I once turned down an offer to see Michael Jackson in concert in order to go trick or treating.

4. My only children have paws.

5.  I'm not a people person, but my career is in helping individuals and families who are experiencing homelessness gain housing.

Now it's your turn...which one is incorrect????

Steff,

Ok - I guess 3.  Who would turn down a Michael Jackson concert....

Here are my five things:

1.  I learned to fly before learning to drive.

2.  My middle initial J is an abbreviation for Jospeh.

3.  I've spent at least one night on every continent in the world.

4.  I met my wife while completing a Readers Digest vocabulary quiz.

5.  My dream job is a concert pianist.  

Which one of the five above is incorrect?

We played this game at one of our office "retreats" a few years ago!  I'm guessing Steff's #2 is not true, and that Tom's #2 is not true.

1. In high school, my math teacher nicknamed me "Trigger" because I was so slow solving problems at the blackboard.

2. I was in my third year of college before I ever dated a civilian.

3. I've argued three cases before the New Jersey Supreme Court.

4. I tried out for the role of a "walker" in The Walking Dead and got to have lunch with Norman Reedus.

5. I unknowingly hosted an escaped convict in my dorm room in college.

• Steff pinned this topic

Tom, I'm with Lexie, I'm going to guess that #2 is untrue, mainly because all of the other ones are really cool and I want them to be true!!!

Lexie - I'm struggling with this one....I'm going to guess #1. When I think of "trigger" I think of pulling the trigger, as in a fast motion.  If your teacher was referring to the horse, I'm not sure if he was fast or slow. This one could go so many different ways!!!

As for the both of your guesses for me....one of you is correct ;)

On 1/8/2018 at 9:53 AM, Steff said:

Hey all!  The week is not over yet!!! Head on over to the "Just for Fun" Forum to have a minute of laughs and fun!  Get your mind off of whatever you have going on for a few seconds!!

Are you excited? I am!!!

I thought the first fun thing we should do is an activity to get to know each other a bit better.  We are all pretty familiar with our cancer stuff, but what about EVERYTHING else about us - the FUN stuff?  So, my proposal this week in order to have some fun or a good laugh is to list 3-5 things about yourself (the funnier/more obscure the better!).  Of those 3-5 things, include something that is untrue. It will be our job to decide which things are true and which one is untrue.  

I will start things off as an example.  I am going to list 5 things about myself and 1 of them will be untrue. Your job is to decide which one is untrue and respond to my post.  I will then let folks know the truth later on in the week.

Here we go....

2. I once unknowingly ate lunch at Arby's next to Washington's governor at the time.

3. I once turned down an offer to see Michael Jackson in concert in order to go trick or treating.

5.  I'm not a people person, but my career is in helping individuals and families who are experiencing homelessness gain housing.

My guesses: 

Steff: I think they all sound likely true. I'd pick #5, just because it's kind of detailed and a bit different than the others, but since it's either 2 or 3, I'll pick 2.

Tom: #5 

LexieCat: #1

Mine:

1: I was an English teacher in Poland.

2: We heat our house with wood.

3, I made over 200 necklaces last year and gave them away.

4. I love gardening.

5. I'm a volunteer tree pruner.

Bridget O

Lexie, Bridget and Steff,

Lexie - OK, I guess #1 is not true because you are a lawyer and most I've met do not enjoy math.

Bridget - Because you are an Oregonian, I have a strong suspicion numbers 2, 4 and 5 are true.  That would leave a guess between 1 and 3.  You are a kind heart so that pushes me to believe #1 is not true.

And ladies, you are collectively all wrong with your your guesses on my untruth thus far.  Indeed my middle name is Joseph and my dream job is a concert pianist. So back to the drawing board on my life.....

Stay the course.

Tom

Not handing out any cigars here just yet. :)  I'm a lawyer, you just can't see my lips moving (how you can tell a lawyer is lying, at least according to *defamatory* lawyer jokes).  

I'm sticking with my guess on Steff.  

As for Bridget, 2, 4, and 5 sound like a common theme.  If you heat your house with wood, volunteer tree-pruning would seem to be a win-win situation.  I'm gonna guess #3 isn't true, just because Tom picked #1 and because I could somehow envision you as a teacher.  

Oh, I forgot to take another stab at Tom's list--I'll go with #4.  Your vocabulary is beyond Reader's Digest, and I can't imagine meeting someone while doing a quiz. :)

Okay folks, since the week is winding down, I'm going to do my final guesses and reveal my "untruth".

Tom, since my first guess was wrong, my final guess is 4. 

Lexie - I'm sticking to my first guess - 1

Bridget, I'm going to guess 4. 

And finally my big reveal - drum roll please....My untruth is....#2 - I once unknowingly ate lunch art Arbys next to a governor. This didn't happen to me, but it happened to my grandpa. He was wondering who this guy was at Arbys with a couple of mean looking guys around him. When he was leaving, he asked one of the workers if they knew who the guy was and they said it was the governor. He called me all excited that he met a "celebrity" but then wondered why he would eat at Arbys!!

As for Tom's guess, your reasoning for choosing #3 is a great reason. Really, who in their right mind would choose trick or treating over a Michael Jackson concert??!!! I'm pretty sure I'm the only one!!

Very good, Steff! My untruth was that I love gardening. in fact, I hate gardening.  I do love trees and I volunteer with a local non-profit.   They plant street trees-- I don't do that, because I don't like mucking in the mud. I inspect trees their first summer to assess their condition, advise about tree care, etc, and I  work with a crew that prunes them when they're about 3 years old--no climbing or anything, just from the ground, since they're still small.  People often assume  that since I do tree stuff, I must love to garden--WRONG!

Fun game!  I'm looking forward to the next one.

IBridget O

OK, my untruth is #4--It's one of my fantasies (huge WD fan and love Norman), but not a reality at this point.  I'd love to give it a shot someday. :)

#1 is true--I was in an advanced math class at the time, and I was good at working the answers, but very SLOW in my analysis (still true!).

#2 is true--I went to HS on the grounds of the Air Force Academy, back in the days before women were admitted, so there were 4,000 single guys in uniform a couple miles away, and my social life centered around that.

#3 is true--I won two and lost one during my 22.5 years as a prosecutor.

#5 is true--my first husband (married after college) was in a sociology class and they had made some visits to a federal youth correctional facility.  This guy he'd met there called and told him he'd been granted a furlough for saving the life of a corrections officer, and he wanted to hang out for the weekend.  After the fact, he stole the car of another student and got into a shootout with the cops, which is when we learned he had, um, not been exactly furloughed.  Nobody hurt, fortunately, but it made for a good story!

Well, as it turns out, I'm not very good at ferreting out un-truth.  Ladies 3 me zip but I returned the favor.  Here is my reveal.

#1 is true -- I am the oldest of 4 brothers and dad was a WW II and Korean War pilot.  His true love was flying and purchased and restored a PT-13 Stearman WW II training aircraft.  It was an original restoration right down to the Army Air Corps flight log and manuals.  All of us learned to fly well before learning to drive.  I did not get my pilots license because I am totally color blind and would have been restricted to daylight, visual flight rules, only flying.  My youngest brother was not affected and became an Army pilot and retired as a Colonel with more than 5,000 flight hours in all types of helicopters.

#2 is true -- My middle name is Joseph and therefore J in fact is the middle initial representing my middle name.

#3 is not true --  As an Army officer, I've been to almost every continent in the world for at least an overnight.  The only one I missed is Antarctica.  But, my wife and I are avid cruisers and contemplating an Antarctic cruise and may yet check that block.

#4 is true -- It was indeed fortunate that my wife was working a Readers Digest vocabulary quiz during her lunch break.  Had she not been doing so, I wouldn't have had the courage to engage her in conversation.  While I test as an extrovert, it is by a very slim margin. I can speak to groups of people with ease, but one-on-one conversation with a woman is not my strong suit. Had Martha not been working the quiz (giving me something to talk about), I'd likely be a single man.

#5 is true -- I studied piano for 16 years.  Before my many thoracic surgeries and resultant chronic pain on my right side, I'd spend hours each day playing the instrument I love.  Music is my true love and I longed to be a concert pianist.  But to master a solo classical repertoire, the pianist hands must be large enough to play an octave and two notes, cleanly.  Thus, my dream was thwarted in my teenage years.  When I attend the Dallas Symphony Orchestra featuring a solo pianist, I see the music in my mind and marvel at the beauty and majestic sound a concert grand piano, accompanied by orchestra, generates in the hands of a virtuoso.  I still long to be that virtuoso.      

That was a lot of FUN! Thanks Tom, Lexie, and Bridget for playing along! I hope you had FUN as well!

• Steff unfeatured and unpinned this topic

This was such a fun idea, Steff! It would be great to play this in person to see who has the best poker face! Maybe at a HOPE Summit meet-up?

I'll jump in on the next round!

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/8/2018 at 12:53 PM, Steff said:

Are you excited? I am!!!

Here we go....

Archived