Kushi Institute vs. supplements

LindaMRG

Hello All,

Im gathering some information and wanted your input. My father will start Iressa next week. We havent heard yet about radiation. I have been looking into alternative supplements, but today began looking into the Kushi Institute using macrobiotics. I understand that macrobiotics deals with using the food to heal, and if you have that you dont need supplements. But, I know more about supplements doing research and finding a doctor that other people use and have had success with. So, now Im confused. I want to do the right thing. What is your opinion?

Hi Linda,

I have read several books on macribiotics and have also attended a few dinner lectures with Christina Pirello, who is a cancer survivor (leukemia) and accredited macrobiotic cooking instructor (she has several cookbooks of her own, a televised cooking show and a quarterly magazine). I would LOVE to attend the Kushi Institute for further instruction, but have not yet had the pleasure....

I don't know why macribiotics and supplement use cannot go hand in hand -- They don't seem to exclude one another. However, perhaps the theory is that if you are eating all the fruits and vegetables called for in the macro diet, you would not need additional supplementation?

I try to follow the general principles of the macro diet (whole grains, organic locally grown produce, LOTS of miso soup!), but I also take a few supplements (multivitamin, folic acid, B6, B12 and calcium) at the recommendation of my oncologist.

I'm sure there are a few other people here with more knowledge of macrobiotics than I, but I hope this helps!

Heather

Guest Michael

The most incredible macrobiotic cure is Janet E. Vitt, RN who was diagnosed in 1995 with small cell adenocarcinoma of the lung Stage 4 with mets to the liver, pancreas, abdomen & lymph system. Janet teaches macrobiotic cooking in the Cleveland area. Last known address is 893 Spicers Lane, Sagamore Hill, Ohio 44067 (330-467-6739). To learn more do a search: Janet E. Vitt, RN

Linda,

Here is a link to a website for Christina Pirello, whom I mentioned in my previous post. She shares her cancer story and how she became involved in macrobiotics. She also has some great recipes on the site.

Hope this helps!

http://www.christinacooks.com/aboutme.php3

I also did a search and found info on Janet Vitt, who Michael referenced in his post. What an amazing story! The link is below! (and she backs up my "cheese ban" theory!!! :wink: )

http://www.kushiinstitute.org/healing/vitt.html

Heather

thank you Michael & Heather- wonderful story...

God Bless, Joe

Romans 10:9-13 says, "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

Thank you everyone for responding to this post. I asked my father's oncologist what he thought and he said he supported the supplements but not the macrobiotics.

I am praying my father gets well enough so I can take him to the alternative doc I had made an appt with.

Thank you again, your input gave so much food for thought!

• 8 months later...

Since I posted the updated Alternative Medicine Magazine article on Janet Vitt today (9 years after her Stage IV lung cancer diagnoses), I figured I would re-visit this post.

My radiation oncologist did not "support" my macrobiotic diet either, and told me to eat whatever I wanted during treatment. Actually, what he said was "if you want a piece of cake, eat a d*mn piece of cake -- just keep your weight up".

While I am not as strict with the macrobiotics as I used to be, I can truly attest for having more energy and feeling better since changing my diet. And I see no harm in that!