Shoulder and arm pain

PaulaC

I’m experiencing pain in my shoulder and arm. It’s gone numb during the night and wakes me up. It’s on the same side as the nodule they found. Left upper lobe. My question is do you think I should call the oncologist or ortho doctor. I’ve had my rotator cuff repaired in 2008 and injections done for what I believed was arthritis but this feels different. It’s like the muscles in my arm are sore but I haven’t worked out. It’s at times painful to lift the arm.

Oh and to add to it I had a heart attack in 2006 with no problems since. BUT everything is on the left side. Left arm, left upper lobe and of course heart.

I’m just wondering if anyone has had these symptoms.  Don’t have a clue what doc to call. 

Thanks for any help

Paula

Paula,

It's better to be safe than sorry, I would let your docs know of the pain/numbness.  My mom has had pain in her shoulder - just under her scapula.  It was on her right side, the same side as her lobectomy.  When complaining about it to her docs, they explained there are nerve endings in the shoulder aread that are a part of the overall lung system and often when there has been something going on in our lungs (in her case surgery and radiation) it is common to feel pain in the corresponding shoulder.  She did not feel numbness, however.  It is likely nothing, but it is better to let your docs know, especially with your previous medical history.

Take Care,

Steff

Thanks Steff, I’m waiting till 9:00 to call but still trying to figure out which one to call. I know it’s not an emergency unless it’s my heart but I don’t think it’s heart. 

I called and left messages with both pulmonary and oncologist. The oncologist called and because the doctor hasn't seen me they couldn't help other than move my appointment to Friday the 9th so that's a good thing. 

Paula,

Careful.  Your history of heart problems is of concern.  If it were me, with your reported pain, I wouldn't wait 2 days to see a doctor about it.  

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Paula,

i’ve have had very similar pains on my left side for quite sometime before I was diagnosed with stage lllc non small adenocarcinoma. I use to take 2-3 Advil’s or 2 Aleves which diffently helped at night, when the pain was more intense. 

Hope this helps until you can see your doctor. 

Thank you for your response. I take aleve in the morning and it works wonders for most pain. 

I talked to all 3 doctors and my cardiologist set up an appointment for me to see him.  If I feel bad before he said go to the emergency room. 

Hopefully I get it figured out. 

Take Care

Paula

Archived