Hello

katsbiz

Hi, Kathleen,

Welcome!  Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.  Glad you're here!

When you're ready, maybe you could share a bit about your diagnosis and treatment for the benefit of those who are just getting started or are in the midst of treatment.

Teri

Hi! I’m a new survivor just had my surgery on 2/13 and was released from hospital on 2/21 and went back to work today. I sit at a desk mostly but walking around was more uncomfortable at work then it was at home maybe because I wore jeans and a sweater and at home I was wearing lounging pants and loose fitting tops also it feels like my rib is floating if I don’t put my hand on my rib or my pillow  is this feeling normal?

Hi, Sharon.  Did you have the VATS or the traditional surgery?  I had the traditional and went back to work after several weeks.  I wasn't uncomfortable in my clothes but I was still very sore.  I felt like I had been kicked in the side for quite some time after my surgery.  If your discomfort continues, you should probably call your doctor.  Hope you continue to improve.

Kathleen and Sharon,

Welcome!

Kathleen — great to have another long tenured survivor among us!  We are all proud you are here!

Sharon — post surgical pain and discomfort varies a lot. So I wouldn’t want to venture a guess about what might be normal. I’d approach it this way: is it pain or discomfort?  If pain, now more than a month after surgery, I’d see the surgeon. If discomfort, my experience tells me that is normal. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

On 3/26/2018 at 9:01 PM, Susan Cornett said:

Hi, Sharon.  Did you have the VATS or the traditional surgery?  I had the traditional and went back to work after several weeks.  I wasn't uncomfortable in my clothes but I was still very sore.  I felt like I had been kicked in the side for quite some time after my surgery.  If your discomfort continues, you should probably call your doctor.  Hope you continue to improve.

Susan, 

I had the VATS surgery and I wore more confortable clothes to work today and I felt much better just have to make sure I sit up straight no slouching and make myself get up and walk around a bit.  I guess this feeling is normal so I will give it more time since it’s only been 5 wks since I got out of the hospital. Thanks for your reply. 

23 hours ago, Tom Galli said:

Kathleen and Sharon,

Welcome!

Kathleen — great to have another long tenured survivor among us!  We are all proud you are here!

Sharon — post surgical pain and discomfort varies a lot. So I wouldn’t want to venture a guess about what might be normal. I’d approach it this way: is it pain or discomfort?  If pain, now more than a month after surgery, I’d see the surgeon. If discomfort, my experience tells me that is normal. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

Thanks Tom for your reply I’m not having pain only discomfort. I guess I need to give myself more time since it’s only been 5 wks since I got out of the hospital. I’ve never had any surgery before or really been sick so I guess I’m just being impatient with myself. 

Sharon- my VATS was 2/16/2018.  When I get a bit tired, I have pain/discomfort right above chest tube closure. I find myself putting my hand to provide pressure which relieves it. I also use salon pas (lidocaine) over the counter patch from my underarm to near drain tube closure.

Thanks Laurel for your reply. I also find putting my hand to provide pressure also helps. I do have some of the salon pas so I will try those too. 

On 3/23/2018 at 7:57 PM, katsbiz said:

Hello,

Just want to say hello! I am a 7 year survivor of lung cancer and am so proud to be here.

Kathleen

Hi, Kathleen,

Welcome to LCSC. I'm glad that you've connected with several of our moderators. This site is a great place to find information, support, and hope. Please feel free to explore the discussion forums and blogs, ask questions, and join in on conversations that resonate with you.

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Warren and welcome here ..If you feel comfortable you could tell us your journey so far here because there are a lot of survivors here to share their experiences with you ...

Welcome to LCSC katsbiz,congratulations on 7 years survivorship,this October I will celebrate 10 years of surviving lung cancer,looking forward to at least another 10 years after that.Best Wishes.

Archived