FROM THE PHILIPPINES - NSCLC 2B starting adjuvant chemo

Hello to all!

My name is Gabriel Fernandez and I'm from the Philippines. I couldn't find an Philippine or Asian website that specializes in Lung Cancer and found this site instead. I recently had a Lung Resection or Upper Lobectomy to take out an isolated cancer tumor but findings from that operation have placed me in STAGE2B. Thus my Oncologist tells me I need to go through 4 months of Adjuvant Chemo with a combination of Cisplatin and Vinorelbine. I've been putting off the treatment as I am more scared of the chemo process than surgery. Inputs and insights about my case are welcome and I will be grateful for whatever learning I can get about this chemo process I am about to undertake.

Thanks!

Hello Gabriel.  Glad you found us. 

I hope you will get a port put in for your Chemo.  I had to have chemo before I could have surgery (and also radiation )  and after I had surgery.

I took Cisplatin and Etopiside (VP 16).  It was quite an ordeal but am glad I did take it.  I have survived over 20 years now.  Please keep us posted and feel free to ask 

questions..  

Donna G

I had surgery one month ago removing the top right lobe of my lung and 12 lymph nodes, 4 being cancerous.  I was told they could see no more cancer. I was told I could come back to M D Anderson every few months to be monitored OR I could do chemo to chase any miniscule cancer. I'm stage IIIa.  I've chosen chemo. They will be using Carboplatin and Altima. I have read that lung cancer can be persistent so I want to be aggressive in treatment. I wish you well Gabriel in this cancer journey. Ask your questions here. There is a lot of experience and support.

Hi Gabriel and welcome. I didn't need chemo for my lung cancer, which was stage 1a.I did have it, however, for another cancer that was state 3 and aggressive. I had concurrent chemo (cisplatin) and radiation and then additional chemo with carboplatin and taxoterre. I had some pretty unpleasant side effects but it was worth it because I'm alive today, 7 years later, with no evidence of disease.Regular CT scans to monitor for metastisis did turn up my primary lung cancer.  My quality of life is good. I know chemo is scary. If you are unsure if it's really necessary for your survival, you could get a second opinion.

If you have chemo, I agree with Donna's advice to get a port. I didn't. but wish I had. Between all the blood tests, IV meds for CTs, and chemo., my veins got  a lot of scarring, so inserting the needle for chemo was difficult.

Best wishes

Bridget O

Gabriel,

Welcome here!

I strongly suggest you have the adjuvant chemotherapy because lung cancer often recurs.  I had five recurrences after what were supposed to be successful treatments and in fact could not have my adjuvant chemotherapy because of surgical complications.  After resolving the complications, 3 new tumors arose in my left and only remaining lung.  So I believe it is essential treatment.  Here is a blog about infusion and hints on IVs that may be helpful as you proceed to your treatment.

Of course fear of a new treatment is natural but I think you will settle into the routine quite quickly.  Two points about adjuvant chemotherapy: the strength is often reduced so you might not even loose your hair, and as a result of strength reduction, side-effect often hardly noticeable.  I found my chemo nurse to be a very good source of information about my treatment and for tips on dealing with side-effects.

Stay the course.

Tom

On April 1, 2018 at 6:23 PM, Donna G said:

Hello Gabriel.  Glad you found us. 

I hope you will get a port put in for your Chemo.  I had to have chemo before I could have surgery (and also radiation )  and after I had surgery.

I took Cisplatin and Etopiside (VP 16).  It was quite an ordeal but am glad I did take it.  I have survived over 20 years now.  Please keep us posted and feel free to ask 

questions..  

Donna G

Thank you for your reply Donna! I am quite scared about the side effects of chemo and how badly off it will be for my system (will I be able to function etc). My Oncologist's answer is the standard: different individuals react to the meds differently. So I guess it must be true. I entertained the thought of NOT doing the adjuvant chemo and go for alternative treatments - 4 months is a long time after all - but reading so many survival stories here of chemo treatments is giving me courage.

Thank you Laurel, Bridget and Tom!

Your replies encourage me. Yes I'm getting a port (i find that part kinda cool). And thank you Tom for describing in detail the "less-stronger" strains for adjuvant chemo. I'm seeing my Oncologist on Wednesday to finalize everything.

I am SO GLAD i found this community!

Gabriel

Gabriel,

Welcome.  Your oncologist is correct - we all react differently to the chemo.  With my first round (cisplatin and pemexetred/Alimta), my biggest side effects were nausea and fatigue.  With my second round (carboplatin and taxol), I lost my hair and had bone pain at the very end of treatment.  I was able to work throughout both rounds of chemo.  Your best bet is to research possible side effects and plan accordingly.  I knew that nausea would be an issue, so my fridge was stocked with bland food.  I had infusions on Fridays, and took Mondays off to rest.  You may be interested to reach chemocare.com for possible side effects.

Keep us posted.

My situation is I get Chemo just after  Noon each week. I usually have very light breakfast  six hours prior and the procedure takes three hours and I do not eat till eight that night cup tea and some biscuits or Banana . Next day I go back to eating what I want but no spicy foods and have had no side effects and now at my normal weight and holding steady. I should mention I do drink lots of water each day

Bob

A little bit of history.

I did 12 cycles of Folfox 4 ( Oxaliplatin and Fluorouracil )in 2007 for Stage 3 Colon Cancer.

I worked all through it.

Last year I did 4 cycles of Carboplatin + Gemcitibine, followed by 30 days of radiation and 6 cycles of Carboplatin + Taxol.

I worked through that as well.

Don't be intimidated by the chemo.

Archived