SBRT/Cyberknife

Deb B

Has anyone had any issues with SBRT or cyberknife failing?  I was told by my rad oncologist that SBRT has 70-80 percent success rate. I thought the number to be much higher.  It doesn’t sound right.  What do they treat the satellite nodule with if the radiation doesn’t work?

Deb,

That is such a tough question to answer - the success rate for SBRT.  I would think the probability of frying the tumor is nearly 100%.  Perhaps the radiation oncologist is including cancer recurrence in the success rate estimate.

I'm not sure if I understand your question about satellite nodule.  Are there two tumors being treated by SBRT?

Stay the course.

Tom 

Deb

Had SBRT on 3 tumors in my lungs. One in left lung and two in right. Results were that on PET one disappeared altogether and the other two registered at below cancer level at 1.9 and 2.5 SUV. I expected them to be like the one that simply disappeared, but my Oncologist says he's not concerned about my lungs. And I know the radiation can actually show up a bit on PET for a while. My Radiology Oncologist says SBRT on lungs is 90% effective. Hope that helps. 

Judy M. 

Hi Tom & Judy

Thanks for responding to me.  I had 1 primary tumor-treated with standard radiation last year-it’s turning into scar tissue.  The targeted Tecentriq & Crizotinib have cleared all except that one satellite nodule.  Satellite (what rad onc calls it -meaning close to original tumor. The satellite was on prior scan-it just lit up to 2.4 suv within 3 month scan. Rad onc said it would turn to scar tissue.  Both you & Judy have answered my questions. Rad onc is probably including chance of reoccurrence & it probably registered below the level as Judy mentioned.  I have great doctors at the facility I’m being treated at.  Now I have great new support online!  Sometimes I just need to put my thoughts out there so I have the right thought process.  Thank you both

• 3 months later...

Archived