Post-chemo side effects

Susan Cornett

Hello, all!  I had my first round of chemo in the spring of 2016 and finished my second round of chemo in July of 2017.  Most side effects abated after some time.  But over the last few days, my neuropathy has come roaring back.  I have no idea what has brought it back.  I don't have any other medical conditions that typically cause neuropathy (i.e. diabetes) but I have had the most stressful work week that I've had in almost 3 years.  Don't know if stress contributes but it sure can't help.

Has anyone else had side effects pop up long after treatment was completed?

Susan,

Yes and it was (is) neuropathic pain — Taxol Toes — to be specific. It showed up after my second thoracic surgery, a very stressful experience (about 8 months after my last infusion).

Moreover, stress always makes my pain more active so I’ve learned to avoid stressing situations. I recall my oncologist telling me it was a short duration problem. At my last consult, he redefined “short” saying the medical profession had few long tenured survivors to assess duration. Now that many more of us are living, he thinks it is likely permanent. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

Thanks, Tom.  I've grown accustomed to the tinnitus and it's probably here to stay.  But the neuropathy definitely took me by surprise.  Perhaps a few days exploring the California coast will make it better.

• 1 month later...

Hi Susan, 

this link may be helpful to you ... it helped me.

Cannabidiol inhibits paclitaxel-induced neuropathic pain through 5-HT1A receptors without diminishing nervous system function or chemotherapy efficacy

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3969077/

Interesting article, Tomm. Looks like CBD works on mice. I wonder if any studies have been done on people. I wonder what the appropriate dose would be.  If I ever have to have taxol/taxoterre again, I' m going to consult with my naturopath about using CBD. From all reports, it sounds like CBD is a pretty benign drug. 

I had taxoterre (close relative of taxol) as part of my treatment for a non-lung cancer. I was fearful of taxol because  my mother became physically disabled by motor neuopathy from taxol, to the extent that she could no longer walk, nor even support her own weight for transfers to/from a wheelchair. Motor neuropathy is a less common form of neuropathy that doesn't cause pain, but does cause loss of motor function. I read that there was some evidence that the propensity to have neuropathy from taxanes could be inherited.

So when taxol was recommended for me, I was hesitant and the oncologist suggested taxoterre instead, since the action is similar and it's somewhat less likely to cause neuropathy. Still, after the first infusion I began having neuropathy in my feet.  Fortunately, I only needed 3 rounds  The neuropathy was unpleasant but tolerable. It was all the typical kind, not motor. I don't know whether I would have been able to tolerate many more rounds. So I'm storing up info on taxanes and neuropathy, just in case. I'm hopeful that I won't need chemo again. I'm NED on that cancer, 7 years out, as well as on breast cancer and my most recent cancer, lung. Both the breast and lung cancers were stage 1 and didn't need chemo.

Archived