Bronchitis I Can't get rid of

Laurel

On 2/16/2018, I had VATS removing my top right lobe and 13 lymph nodes. I am now considered Stage IIIA NSCLC, andenocarcinoma.  My surgeon and oncologist believe all cancer was removed but want followup chemo and radiation.

Two weeks after surgery, I had acute bronchitis...treated with antibiotics and improved.

My first chemo of Carboplatin and Alitma was April 18. I got acute bronchitis again and put on antibiotics which I started one week ago. My husband has bronchitis also but won't go to doctor. We seemed to be improving a bit each day. Then, this morning we both took a nosedive. I was coughing heavily, nausea, chills.

My next chemo was supposed to be tomorrow but changed to next Monday. I had a chest xray last Friday. I just put in a call to my oncologist.

Any ideas?

Laurel

Seems reasonable to me that if your husband has it and won't get treated and you are on chemo and have an impaired immune system he will simply give it back to you. I don't know what antibiotic you were given, but when I was on chemo they gave me the strongest antibiotic possible without placing me in the hospital. Also after chemo while I was still immune impaired. Do you have COPD? I know I do and many of us do. Sometimes when I've had a respiratory infection it has caused the COPD to flare up and I've required a course of Prednisone to get well. I had steroids with my chemo, but not Prednisone. Don't know if the type given with chemo helps lung inflammation. Perhaps someone else will. Take care of yourself. Hope you get better soon. And last but not least, wash hands and use sanitizer constantly. I became almost OCD about this while I was on chemo and kept up the habit. Only had one infection on chemo and that was a UTI. 

Judy M. 

Laurel

Just reread the post and forgot the most important thing. If you have fever and chills GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM. My Oncologist insisted any fever over 100.5 and I was to go to the emergency room immediately. And others who have had chemo on here were instructed to do the same. 

Judy M. 

I just heard from assistant to oncologist. The Xray on Friday showed possible pneumonia. They want another xray....which is 30 minutes away. I told her I did not feel well enough today. I would try to get the xray tomorrow.

Good grief!

Laurel

You're more than welcome. I know how miserable you must be. I'd try to get something for it. Amazed that Oncologist is asking for another X-ray and hasn't prescribed anything for a chemo patient with possible pneumonia. 

Judy M. 

Also sympathize with wanting more tests when you're not feeling well and 30 minutes away. I'm 45 minutes from where I receive treatment. The trips to and from constantly can just wear you totally out. 

Judy M

Judy-  I was thinking the same thing. Last xray should be enough. I hope I can get the xray tomorrow.

My chemo is 1 hour away...each way.  I am not sure I can do the remaining three treatments.  My immune system may not support this "baby chemo" I'm getting. 

Laurel

You might try talking to or seeing your PCP to get something to help you. I've found mine to be much quicker to treat this sort of thing and treat it aggressively than my Oncologist. My Oncologist seems to be tunnel visioned on the cancer. My Pulmonologist is also more likely to be helpful. I've learned to tell my Med. Oncologist everything but not necessarily expect him to be helpful with everything. The way I see him is that he hears the hoof beats of Zebras, but not horses. Hope you're feeling better. 

Judy M. 

I have a primary doctor who is a great diagnostician and treats aggressively. I get the follow up xray today to confirm pneumonia. I will wait to see what oncologist decides. I am cancelling tomorrow's blood test and Monday's chemo. After my surgery, I was told I don't have cancer....but 50% chance of it returning. Thus, 4 chemo and 25 radiation.  I'm feeling I need to protect myself and build some health. I can not continue these chemo treatments...being on the verge of going to ER or in a hospital. I will followup with primary doctor to work toward better health.  Thank you Judy. You confirmed what I was feeling.

I saw my primary doctor. She believes I have sinus infection, some pneumonia in left lung etc? She agreed I shouldn't take new antibiotic oncologist chose but stay with antibiotic oncologist chose first but double dosage. She also added prescription of Flonase.

She agreed....no second chemo until I am fully well.

Now....rest, hydrate, heal

Hi Laurel,

You wrote that your chemo is an hour away. Do you have to drive there? If you do, or if  difficulty finding a ride could deter you, you might check to see if there is any resource for cancer treatment transportation in your area. The American Cancer Society has on there site a place where you can search for programs. Hang in there!

Bridget O

Bridget...Thank you for your advice. I have my husband who can usually drive me and so many friends who can and have helped me. Since my husband, who had a massive heart attack in October, was not always strong enough to drive me and take me through so much testing....both near home and three hours away at M D Anderson, two of my friends have helped me through this. I have so many other friends offerring to do anything I need. I am blessed.

Archived