Nodule and enlarged lymph nodes

Tannilisa

Hi, I am new here and am hoping to just get some opinions/advice on CT scan results. I went into the hospital a few weeks ago with severe shortness of breath, dry coughing, rapid heart and high blood pressure...a pulmonary embolism was suspected after blood work showed a possible clot. I had a CT scan and thankfully I did not have a clot, but it did show some pnuenomonitis (inflammation) from what I think was from spilling bleach in my basement....and a 3mm node that wasn't there in March when I had a scan, it also showed hilum lymph node 7mm grown from 4mm since March. I do have an appointment with a pulmonologist but not until September...they put me on cancellation list to get me in sooner. I'm hoping maybe changes are from the bleach incident?...but the lymph node was there since March 🤷🏼‍♀️ I attached some of my scan report..thanks for any input!

IMG_5631.PNG

Hi, Tannilisa, and welcome,

I'm not a medical professional (and I don't think any of us here is).  But most of us have learned a bit about nodules and lymph nodes.  Lymph nodes react to infection/inflammation, so the enlarged lymph node might be related to your pneumonitis.  And a 3 mm nodule is very small--most nodules are not cancer, and it might be related to your inflammation or it might be scar tissue or something else.  Usually nodules that size are simply monitored and re-checked a few months later.  That's essentially what will happen if you go for another check in September.  

Bottom line, it isn't something that should cause you to freak out.  You're not ignoring it (which is good), but in all likelihood it will turn out not to be anything to worry about.  

Thank you so much for responding and hope you are well! I'm thinking the nodule also could be from the inflammation...the lymph nodes have me more nervous because they appeared on the March cat scan too, I'm hoping for an all clear on next Ct scan! I'll post an update when I learn more! 

Tannilisa,

Ditto on everything LexieCat said!!  But for your sanity, I hope that you are able to get a sooner appointment than September!  We would love to hear your update when you have one.

Take care,

Steff

Tannilisa,

Ditto (haven't used that in a while -- thanks Steff) on Lexi's advice.  Here is my go to resource on lung nodules published by the Cleveland Clinic.  As you can see, there are many causes and I think waiting 6 months for a rescan is a good idea.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi, Tannilisa,

Welcome to LCSC. I'm glad to see that you've already connected with several of our moderators. This site is a great place to ask questions and share your experience with others navigating a similar diagnosis. Please feel free to explore the discussion boards and join in on any conversation that resonates with you. I'm also happy to provide you with more information about LUNGevity's support and patient education resources. We are here for you!

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manger
LUNGevity Foundation

Archived