Are you a concert goer?

Steff

Hi all,

It seems that "fun" Steffanie has been on a hiatus for quite some time.  I'm not sure why, but I'm trying to find out where she's gone and get her to come back!  In search of "fun" Steffanie, I will be looking to my fellow Parrotheads at Saturday's Jimmy Buffett concert in Seattle.  We've been blessed in that he has come to the PNW twice in 2 years!!! 

My passion is concerts.  I have lived only 45 minutes away from one of the most beautiful looking and sounding concert venues in the United States - the Gorge Amphitheater in George, Washington.  So concerts were an easy thing to attend.  My first concert was the Pointer Sisters when I was about 7 years old...that was a blast! My mom has always been my concert pal and having a lung cancer diagnosis has not stopped her.  In fact, it has made it better...we now get seats in the section for disabled folks, which is much more spacious and we don't have drunks spilling beer on us!!  

My concerts have gone from boy bands when I was a teenager to singer/songwriters like James Taylor, Tom Petty, John Mellencamp, Billy Joel, Elton John, etc.  But Jimmy Buffett remains my main man and his concerts are always a treat. There's just something about those of us who have to dress professionally during the day, but slip into hawaiian shirts, flip flops, and the occasional coconut bra when Jimmy comes to town! We are just a big, dysfunctional family who would all be crazy if we weren't all insane! (that's from on of Jimmy's songs if you happen to not be a fan)

So my question to you is, do you like music, whose your favorite? Do you/have you gone to any cool concerts? I would love to hear about them! 

I will hopefully have a fun pic from this weekend's concert to share when I get home...have a great weekend!!!

Steff

It's hard to get tickets when big name performers come to the big venue in Portland. Stuff sells out immediately and a lot of it goes to "resellers", AKA scalpers, who charge exhorbitant prices. Sometimes I've gone to concerts of not-quite-as-big-name, or formerly big-name performers at slighly smaller venues. Most recently, I saw k d lang who reprised her "Ingenue" album on it's 25th anniversary. She was great! I got a ticket to see Donald Fagan (of Steely Dan, one of my favorite of vintage bands) but the concert was cancelled, because it was right after Walter Becker (the other half of Steely Dan) died. 

A few years ago I went to see Leon Russell here. In the 70's I was a BIG,  really BIG, Leon Russell fan. I had seen him  live about 1970  and was really impressed by his energy and charisma as well as his singing and songwriting. The concert I went to here was a bit of a disappointment. His voice was faded and his energy was gone. Oh, well, what should I have expected-- he was over 70. I'm glad I did get to see him again before he died in 2016. A pleasant surprise, though, was the opening act for that concert, Commander Cody (George Frayne) formerly of Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen. This was a band I used to see at local shows when I lived in Berkeley in the late 60s and early 70s. Never the same quality as Leon, though, and I wasn't a really BIG fan.  At the Portland concert Commander Cody (also around  70) had the same kind of energy and voice he always had! Some of us old folks hold up pretty well! 

I couldn't even begin to list the concerts I've gone to in the past few years, since I retired and now have a salary on top of my pension.  My favorite live performers are: Green Day, Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Pixies, Dandy Warhols (from Portland, Bridget!).  And the late, great Tom Petty.  

This summer I have tickets for Arcade Fire, Cake, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Foo Fighters, Gladys Knight, John Fogerty/ZZ Top, Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins, Sting/Shaggy, and VNV Nation.  Oh, and the Game of Thrones Concert Experience.  

So far.  :)

I've gotten hooked on Broadway, too, and just bought tickets (for a YEAR from now) for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.  Went to Angels in America last month, will be seeing Hamilton for the second time on my birthday in August, and I've got a subscription for the Broadway season in Philadelphia for the coming year.  

ETA:  I forgot that I also have Radiohead and Jethro Tull in my lineup for this year!  'tis an embarrassment of riches.  

Steff,

I’m a big music fan. I studied to be a concert pianist in my younger days and grew to love classical music. I’ve attended frequent classical concerts with the Philadelphia Orchestra, the New York Philharmonic, the Detroit and Dallas Symphony Orchestras (uniquely both called DSO, and the Chicago Symphony. 

I also enjoy jazz performances and have seen Miles Davis, Mike Pass, Ramsey Lewis and many more jazz trios and quartets. Also am a big fan of Brazilian Bossa Nova and saw Antonio Carlos Jobim in concert. Herby Mann’s band backed Jobim and it was a memorable show. It was outside in the concert venue at Fairmount Park in Philly. I now listen to a lot of Stacey Kent who excels in performing 30s and 40s standards. YouTube her Shall We Dance cover as an example. Sophie Milman’s Agua De Beber is a fusion of Bossa and rock that I enjoy. I’m trying to fine these ladies in concert without success. 

My taste in rock favors complex bands like Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears. But I really like Billy Joel especially in smaller club venues. In my younger days, I followed The Band and was a fan of Leon Helm, the talented drummer and vocalist. YouTube The Band The Weight for a sample of his talent. Of course, the Beatles rocked my world. Sergeant Peppers Loanly Hearts Club Band album is my absolute favorite. I enjoy current jazz vocalists and bands covering Beatles hits these days. YouTube Blackbird, Oh Darling, and Fixing A Hole by Connie Evenston as examples of great Beatles covers. 

And Steff, I’ve been to the Gorge for a concert. The Eagles performed and a special extended version of Hotel California was superb. It had to be 15 minutes long!

Great topic!

Tom

Wow, LexiCat, how did you manage to get tickets to all of those? One thing I really regret is never seeing Tom Petty. I also didn't say that I enjoy classical music too. I have season tickets to the Oregon Symphony, which has in recent years become very good.

Bridget O

I'm lucky enough to live where there are a ton of concert venues.  I go to the big arenas in Philadelphia, and Camden, sometimes to Madison Square Garden or Radio City in NY, and the arena in DC, as well as a few clubs in Philadelphia and the Stone Pony in Asbury Park (where Springsteen got his start).  I get email alerts from Ticketmaster and Live Nation, plus some of the clubs, and just mark my calendar for when the tickets go on sale. 

There are some bands I will see every chance I get, while others I enjoyed seeing once but found they didn't blow me away enough to go see again.  I'm actually flying to Chicago in early December to see VNV Nation, who I saw a few years ago and have been waiting to see again--they've mostly been touring in Europe.  They are playing in Philadelphia, but in November when I will be out of the country.  I had some rewards miles so the trip isn't costing much, and it's an excuse to make a short visit to Chicago.

I've got a couple of work friends, too, that I go to concerts with all over the country.  One friend is in Minneapolis and the other is in DC, so we take turns going to concerts all three places.  We also went together to see The Who in Denver a couple years ago.

Steff,

I did a little poking around on YouTube and found the version of Hotel California, Eagles in Concert, that I heard at the Gorge Amphitheater in the early 90s ('93 or '94).  Here it is.  It was their Acoustic Tour and their music was fantastic.

Tom

Tom, I love this version of Hotel California! I heard this version during their Hell Freezes Over tour around 2000 at the Gorge.  Great concert, one of my favorites!!!  My mom and I discussed going to see them when they come to Spokane, but it just wouldn't be the same without Glen, so we decided to skip it. 

I went to see ZZ Top and John Fogerty last night--really fun show.  They did a couple of songs together.  John also had two of his sons on stage--one who apparently is a regular with his touring band, and one who just popped onstage for a couple of songs.  

The very last song Fogerty did, of course, was Proud Mary, which took me back to the VERY FIRST concert I ever went to--Ike and Tina Turner.  My first date, when I was 16.  Would love to see Tina again...

I really enjoy going to concerts.I have been a Cliff Richard and the Shadows fan from the early 60s,seen him several times in Glasgow.He and the Shadows broke up years ago but Cliff at now 78 years old is still touring and as popular as ever.These last two years I have failed in getting tickets for his Glasgow Concerts,they sell out minutes after they go on sale.I did complain about Ticketmaster type companies selling Cliff tickets valued between £65 and £75 for between £300 -£500 its a real rip off and I refuse to buy them.I am also a big fan of Andre Rieu and his orchestra,I have seen him in Glasgows Hydro Theatre twice,last year Liz and I actually went to his annual concerts in his hometown Masstrict in Holland,we met up with friends,shared a meal with them then off to the concert ,it can only be described by myself the most perfect day,great weather, company,food and drink,not forgetting Andre and his orchestra,it will live long in my memory.I have also seen many of the USAs best Artists in Glasgow,Bruce Springstein,Beach Boys,Bread,Neil Diamond etc.I do love to sing myself and have appeared on stage in many musical productions in my local theatre,eg, Fiddler On The Roof,Call Me Madam,Hello Dolly,Cabaret etc.I also enjoy at nights out with friends and getting up for the Karaoke spot,I reckon I do a mean Neil Diamond. and Cliff of course,as my friends might add I am a legend in my own mind LOL.

Eric,

I completely agree with the Ticketmaster issue.  There have been several concerts in which I have been unable to attend because all decent priced tickets were sold out within minutes, but then are resold on other websites.  There are some days that I miss the "old fashioned" way of buying tickets - standing/camping in line for many, many hours!!  

I am quite jealous that you have seen Springstein...he is on my bucket list! I am hoping he does another tour soon as none of us are getting any younger!!!

Thanks for sharing, I love hearing about other people's music experiences.

Take Care,

Steff

Hi Steff,I went along to see Bruce at Hampden Park,which is Scotlands National Football Stadium in Glasgow.What I found so enjoyable about Bruce Springstein,when he came on stage he stayed there for over 3 hours without leaving it for a wee tea break.He also pulled a young female fan from the audience to come onto the stage with him,gave her a guitar and played the next number with him,I was so impressed by his generosity with fans. 

Steff,

So, here is a twist on your topic.  I challenge everyone to YouTube post their absolute favorite song by their absolute favorite artist or artists.  Yes, it will require some tough choices.  My serious involvement with music started sixty one years ago and if I can neck down to one, so can everyone.

My song is "Only The Beginning" by Chicago.  Here is the YouTube to give it a listen: 

Why is it my favorite?  It is sophisticated.  This song has roots of the disco sound that would emerge in the mid '70s but was recorded on January 27, 1969.  The opening rhythm guitar bars are exactly the pattern that would back Donna Summer years later, and the driving base guitar, the harmonic brass, in particular the "hits" throughout the song, would emerge as key disco features.  Notice also the "Marachi Band" horn style blended throughout the tune.  Yet, the vocals and vocal harmonies are classic rock. The rhythm blend to the end is a superb finish.  So this song was great in its time, ushered in a new era of music, and remains great now. We are seeing them play in a combination Chicago/REO Speedwagon at the Dallas Starplex Pavilion this Friday night!  It will be our 7th live Chicago concert!

There will be some movement in the audience..... 

I have very eclectic tastes in music, so I have a lot of favorites in a lot of categories.  But if I had to narrow it down to one song that most reliably makes my pulse race when I hear it in concert, it would have to be Green Day's Holiday.  I've been a fan of Green Day since I took my kids to one of their shows in 2002 (the Pop Disaster tour).  My kids had liked them since grade school but I had never heard their music till then--I think I enjoyed the show more than they did.  Since then I've probably seen them live close to 10 times--by far more than any other artist.  

This video, shot at their concert at Milton Keynes in London, is great because it really captures the energy of their live shows.  Billie Joe and the rest of the band have the best rapport with their audiences of any band I've ever seen.  Hopefully this embed code works:

Hm, I have to figure out how to post, the embed code doesn't seem to work...

Ohh my gosh, Tom, I love this! I haven't listened to this song in years! But I have added it to my Pandora playlist!!  I hope y'all have a fabulous time Friday at the concert!!

LexieCat - I completely forgot about Green Day's Holiday.  I watched the version at Milton Keynes and it definitely got me goin'!  I've never been to a Green Day concert, but from what I've heard and seen on TV, I need to go!

I have had 2 favorite songs in my life. The first was Neil Diamond's "Forever In Blue Jeans".  The title seemed to be my life's motto as I grew up.  Today I mainly love it because of the memories attached to it.  We had an old Monte Carlo with an eight track player in it.  I remember Neil Diamond's eight track was blue and knew when my mom put it in, we were getting into our cruising mode.  That eight track was the track to my summer in 1981 and 1982.  We spent every Monday travelling a few hours north to stay with my dad while he was building roads and would come home every Friday.  There were many, many hours singing along with my mom and Neil; a memory that will stay with me forever.

But then I "met" Jimmy.  I remember the exact place I heard his "Cheeseburger in Paradise" song and was hooked.  There was just something about this guy who often sang about silly things and didn't mind singing off key.  The point of it all was to just chill and have fun. 

Although my favorite song is not one of his more silly ones, it just resonates with me...A Pirate Looks at Forty.  He wrote this song about one of his pals in Key West. A guy who just didn't fit in in today's society and made lots of mistakes. Someone who looked for adventure, but adventure got the better of him.  I chose this particular video because it shows Jimmy getting a kick out of himself.  I love when he says something that he thinks is funny and laughs/smiles to himself.  It also shows my secret in how I know when he is going to play the song - the guitar strap.  This is the only song he plays with this guitar.  I hope you enjoy...and this version ends with Margaritaville, so if you need to start your weekend early, enjoy!!!

Lexie,

There are many ways to do it.  I go open this website on my browser (Google, but any will do).  Then open a browser page (Google > File > New Tab) and search on that page for the name of my favorite song.  Finding it, I compose my forum post (the text on this page) and when I want to insert the song video, I copy the browser address for my favorite song (click to highlight the browser address, right click on the address or Edit > Copy, then place your cursor into the forum post text where you want the YouTube song, and paste it. (move cursor to forum post and left click to establish a location, then Edit > Paste.

Alternatively there is a much easier way using the forum to do the grunt work.  Proceed as above, opening two browser pages.  On one is your forum post and the second has the YouTube containing your Holiday video.  Highlight the word Holiday in your post, and select the link symbol on the menu bar on your post page.  It is the symbol resembling a chain just the the left of the ".  The Link window opens.  Put you cursor in the Link text bar and Right Click > Paste Holiday in the text bar.  Then go to your YouTube browser page. Edit > Copy the long address text in the browser (you may need to highlight the entire browser window address).  Put the cursor in the URL bar on the Link window.  Right Click > Paste.  Now a Link Line (blue color, I think) shows on your forum post and you have imbedded the Holiday address in your forum post.

This long explanation may help others. We Engineers are known for our long and detailed explanations.....😎

Link Process.png

Oh, fer cryin' out loud.  I've been on SO many forums where inserting the URL in the post gives you only the URL with a hyperlink.  There are other gymnastics involved in actually embedding the video.  (I'm guessing because there's an HTML option on those forums.)  This is too simple, that's the problem.

Sheesh.

Hard to pick my favourite song by Cliff Richard,there are so many to choose from,however,having been a fan from 1960,after hearing him on Sunday Night at the London Palladium,a very popular TV in the UK then.Cliff made a few films with the Shadows such as Summer Holiday,Wonderful Life,Finders Keepers and The Young Ones (1961),this clip is Cliff singing the Title song from the film.Cliff has had no1 hits in the UK and around the world in every decade since the 50s.

This is such a fun discussion! Thank you for always coming up with great topics, Steff!

It's neat to see how eclectic all of our tastes are in music. I have some artists in common with you. I've seen Jimmy Buffett, Bruce Springsteen, and Green Day, along with a handful of others. I'm envious of those of you who have seen Billy Joel in concert! He is definitely on my bucket list.

One of my most memorable concerts was seeing Yo-Yo Ma play with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. Ben and I also enjoy going to see movies at the symphony. The orchestra plays all of the music live while you watch the film. We've seen Indiana Jones, Home Alone, Singin' In the Rain, and Casablanca with the BSO.

My favorite place to see live music is Wolftrap National Park for the Performing Arts, not too far from where I live. There are hiking trails and I actually prefer the lawn seats, where we can spread out and have a picnic before the concert. It's especially beautiful when the fireflies come out in droves and it feels like you're sitting among the stars. Last summer, Ben and I saw 2CELLOS at Wolftrap. One of my favorite songs that they performed was the GoT theme song (below).

Teri, I hope you enjoy your GoT Experience concert this year!

Thank you all for contributing to this thread! I really enjoy these conversations.

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Lauren,

I've been to Wolftrap several times. Yo-Yo Ma is indeed a virtuoso but I've never seen him play live. And the Game of Thrones musical score is surprisingly good.  The introductory song just sticks in my head....

Tom  

I have, on my iPod, all the soundtrack albums from GoT.  The "Concert Experience" is conducted by the composer,  Ramin Djawadi, and performed by an extraordinary group of artists, some of whom perform in costume.  There are all kinds of special effects going on, too, including dragon fire, and huge screens playing clips from the show to accompany the music.  

If you buy the most expensive tickets, you can sit in the "House of Stark" section or the "House of Lannister" section.  Here's a description of the show: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_Live_Concert_Experience

I went a couple of years ago and was blown away--better than I even expected.  If you're a fan of the show, it's definitely worth seeing.

Archived