Bones aching after chemo.

PaulaC

Monday I started a new round of chemo Carbo/Taxol.  Tuesday I did ok but Wednesday my bones started aching everywhere. I have had a terrible time sleeping or working out the pain.  Has anyone experienced this and do you have any suggestions. I’ve tried Aleve, hot baths, and Tylenol.  None has helped. 

suggestions?

Thanks Paula

Two days after my full dose had the same thing and  felt unwell for five days and then cleared up vey same thing after the second dose but all is well now after two weeks getting back to normal life.

Forgot to mention the itch on my arms and legs that was not fun.  lol

Bob

Thanks Bob, I’m hoping I can get some sleep tonight. It’s good to hear that it clears up and that you’re feeling better. I’m hoping I’ll be the same way. I’m scheduled for two more rounds of full dose of chemo and dreading going through this two more times. 

Take Care

Paula

Paula,

Unfortunately, my 18 infusions of Taxol and Carboplatin caused joint pain. About 4 very bad days starting and ending the same time after each infusion. Not even narcotics would help. 

Just get through this. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

I guess I was lucky. My Carbo/Taxol didn't cause me any joint or bone pain. It did cause severe neutropenia and fairly bad anemia. I guess this stuff affects each of us differently.

Bridget O

Tom, I’m happy to say it’s gone for this round but hate to hear I’ll probably experience it again. 

BridgetO, I’m thinking that if this and thrush are my main side effects I may be lucky. I feel lucky because the pain did go away.  Is neutropenia where your toes and fingers go numb? 

Take Care 

Paula

Hi Paula, 

Nope, neuropathy is where your toes and fingers go numb. I had that, too, but only in my toes/feet.

Neutropenia is where your neutrophils, a type of white blood cell that fights infection, gets low. I had a severe case where my neutnrophils went to zero. Neutropenia risk is why you need to watch for any fever, which can be the only symptom. If you ever have fever, call your doctor immediately and if you can't get through, call or go to the emergency room. Don't "wait until morning". With low or no neutrophils, we can get really bad and even fatal infections, not just from outside bacteria but also from the bacteria that normally live on our skin and digestive tracts. These  can get out of hand in hours with no neutrophils to keep them in check.

When I developed fever and called my oncologist's office, they sent me to the ER, where they did the blood tests that showed no neutrophils. They put me on two kinds of antibiotics. After my next rounds of Carbo/Taxol, I had neupogen shots, which kept the neutorphil level up.

So, watch for fever! 

Bridget O

BridgetO, wow that’s scary but thank you for the heads up. I’ve had a temp of 99 but never got to the 100 mark. I do take my temp when I feel chilled or feverish.

Take Care

Paula 

Hi, Paula.  I had terrible bone pain when I received the full doses of carboplatin and taxol.  I called Super Doc and he prescribed pain meds that did the trick.  

Morning Susan, I’m going to check with mine before the next round.  It was so painful I am really dreading the next dose. 

Paula

I’m going for the full dose because I want to do anything to get to NED. 

I can do this. 

Take Care

Paula

• 2 weeks later...

Archived