Dad diagnosed Stage 4 lung cancer

bacchus

Bacchus,

I'm happy to hear that your dad is home! Please keep us posted on how you're both doing.

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bacchus,

Glad to hear your dad is home. It always seems easier to heal when we are at home.  My mom was hospitalized about 1 month into her treatment for lung cancer recurrence. She was there for about 2 weeks.  It was awful and things seems so grim, she was full of infection.  But after she got the infections under control, things got much better.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though things may seem really bad when our loved one is in the hospital and/or really struggling, there is always hope.  My mom bounced back after her hospital stay and made it through her initial treatment plan.  It was tough, but she did it.  It is great news that your dad's mass is shrinking from radiation! That's a step in the right direction!  Sometimes that's all we have to hang onto when dealing with all things lung cancer.  But as you have seen by all of the long-term survivors here, there is hope for recovery and living a full life.  Hope you are taking care of yourself (as much as you can) in this stressful time.

Take Care,

Steff

No more radiation at this time.  He is still feeling the side effects from radiation hence the first week of August start on keytruda.  Overall he's doing ok.

Great news! My mom has been on Keytruda for nearly a year. Her cancer has responded well.  All troubles within the past year have not been Keytruda related except she has had some skin issues.

That's great news, bacchus! We're glad you have a game plan. Please continue to keep us posted!

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Well another bout of afib that wouldn't quit at home so back in the hospital.  Also got his first pet scan results back showing more cancer then we were hoping to see.  Primary tumor in lung has shrunk fairly nicely with radiation but the cancer is in his bones, spread around the abdomen/pelvis and a spot on the spine that is at risk for paralyzing him.  Also, a few nodules under the skin growing in the fat that we can feel.  So the new plan is to radiate the tumor on the spine for 5 days then start Keytruda a day later then normal(7/2).  MRI showed no mets in the brain thankfully.  At this point Keytruda will need to be a miracle so we are still realistically hopeful.  Thanks for all the prayers and please keep them coming!

Hi, Bacchus,

Your dad sure is a fighter!  I hope the radiation knocks back that spinal tumor so the Keytruda can do its thing.  

You guys hang in there--we're all rooting for you!

bacchus,

Keytruda has been a "miracle" for so many people.  Perhaps it will be a miracle for your dad to.

Take Care,

Steff

6 minutes ago, LOVEMAMA said:

dd the first infusion of Keytruda last friday... Now we wait and pray together!

how is she doing?  Any side effects from it yet?

On 7/2/2018 at 5:57 PM, LexieCat said:

Hi, bacchus, and welcome.   I'm sorry to hear about your dad--it's always a shock to hear about cancer, but I would think especially so since he's been seeing a pulmonologist.

I can't really comment on the treatment he's getting right now--it sounds like they are doing what they can to get him stabilized, which is the first challenge.  

Since you are close to Houston, I'd consider going to the MD Anderson Cancer Center--it's pretty consistently rated the number one cancer center in the country.  My very early cancer was found and treated at my local cancer center that is affiliated with MD Anderson, and I was very impressed with their multidisciplinary approach.  

The ten-month stat is scary, and not necessarily reflective at all of your dad's chances.  We have Stage 4 survivors here with over 10 years and counting.  

Glad you found us--others will be along shortly who have more experience with treatments other than the relatively simple surgery I had.

Stage 4 with 10 years and counting?! YES!!!! I'm hunting them down to read their stories! Aaaaand....almost happy birthday LexieCat!

• 3 weeks later...

Second Infusion of keytruda in yesterday.  He is feeling pretty achey and the nodules that he has under the skin in the fat that you can feel are getting inflamed and painful.  Sounds like its working to me!  Kind of a catch 22 feeling lousy but hopefully knowing the immune system is killing the bad guys.  Any one else get nodules under the skin that could be felt?

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update.  Dad was limping pretty bad because he had some cancer in the muscle of hip(but not in bone) and had 5 days of radiation.  Hip is doing much better now pain wise.  He received his 3rd infusion of keytruda yesterday and the doctor is pleased to hear the nodules under the skin are disappearing.  His lung xray looks much better then it did in July however he has some inflammation making it hard to breath due to COPD, radiation, and the keytruda.  The fix would be easy but the steroids would interfere with the keytruda so they are just getting him to do a bunch of inhalers.  Hoping the inflammation gets better since it's a real bummer to not be able to breath well when everything else is heading in the right direction.

Ok so Dad is back in the hospital after his third infusion of Keytruda.  The lung inflammation finally took its toll and he just simply could not breath well.  He is on a vapotherm with some bipap use as well.  2 weeks ago he was using 2 litres of o2 at home and now the hospital has him on 30 litres on the vapotherm to keep blood o2 up.  They "think" the inflammation is from the radiation, COPD, and/or amiodarone for afib.  They started steroids on Sunday night and the inflammation has not gotten better yet.  We are still hoping and praying.  This time the cancer isn't really the problem, well in the grand scheme it is, but there are no tumors that are actively blocking organs from functioning.  Basically it all comes down to the steroids controlling the inflammation.  Any ideas or similar stories and prayers are welcome.

Be careful, it is not uncommon for Keytruda to cause pneumonitis.  It was suspected that my mom had it, she was taken off of Keytruda for 2 sessions and received high dose steroids.  She did not end up having pneumonitis, but we learned that it can be very serious and fatal if not taken care of.  It can also cause permanent damage.  Perhaps his docs want to look into that possibility as well.

Archived