Hello! I'm new

DonnaH

My name is Donna. I am 71 years old and in June last year was diagnosed with Stage 1 adenocarcinoma in the upper left lobe. Had a VATS surgery to remove the lobe. This June, they discovered a nodule in the lower left lobe, the only one I have on that side. The surgeon doesn't recommend surgery for that. I am going to SBRT radiation starting in a week or so. The radiation oncologist doesn't think I will need chemo after the SBRT treatments, but I guess that remains to be seen. I'm very nervous about the local recurrence, but the nodule is very small and the oncologist is pretty positive. 

Anyway, I hope I can call on you from time to time to share information that might be helpful to me. Thank you!

Donna

Hi, Donna, and welcome.

Has the new nodule been confirmed to be cancerous, either by biopsy, or due to its particularly suspicious appearance?  Have you had a PET/CT? Or have they done multiple scans and determined it is increasing in size?  How large is the nodule?

Nodules can be many things, most of them not cancer.  I had a Stage Ib tumor, removed via lobectomy, and I have had nodules appear and disappear on scans.  

Assuming it is found to be cancer, I've heard great things about SBRT.

BTW, I'm in NJ, too--Camden County.  Where are you being treated?

Hi Donna and welcome,

us kowI'm 72 and had lower right lobectomy by VATS in November 2016--adenocarcinoma stage 1a and so far no recurrences. LexieCat's questions ae good ones.

I've also heard good things about SBRT. Let us know what questions you have and how we can support you. And hang in there!

Bridget O

Thank you. I go tomorrow for the set up. I'll let you know if I have any questions. I was disappointed and frightened by the recurrence, but I am feeling more confident now.

2 hours ago, LexieCat said:

Hi, Donna, and welcome.

Has the new nodule been confirmed to be cancerous, either by biopsy, or due to its particularly suspicious appearance?  Have you had a PET/CT? Or have they done multiple scans and determined it is increasing in size?  How large is the nodule?

Nodules can be many things, most of them not cancer.  I had a Stage Ib tumor, removed via lobectomy, and I have had nodules appear and disappear on scans.  

Assuming it is found to be cancer, I've heard great things about SBRT.

BTW, I'm in NJ, too--Camden County.  Where are you being treated?

Hi Lexie and thanks for the welcome. Yes, I had a needle biopsy, and PET scan, and a brain MRI. The nodule was the only thing that lit up on the PET Scan and the brain MRI was clear. Nodule is very small. I think the doctor said 11 mm. I'll be doing the SBRT.  Do you rescue cats too?

Hi Lexie and thanks for the welcome. Yes, I had a needle biopsy, and PET scan, and a brain MRI. The nodule was the only thing that lit up on the PET Scan and the brain MRI was clear. Nodule is very small. I think the doctor said 11 mm. I'll be doing the SBRT.  Do you rescue cats too?

I think I may have replied the wrong way to Lexie. I am still trying to understand this. 

Nah, I don't rescue cats.  I do have two highly annoying ones that I inherited when my son moved back across the country.  I'm determined to outlive them.  One of them is named Lexie--I actually named her after the pseudonym I've used online for years and years.  My real name is Teri.  :)

Glad to hear they found the new tumor so early.  Hopefully the SBRT will knock it out and you'll be good as new.

You replied just fine.  You really don't need to do anything but post a new post.  

Hi, Donna,

Welcome to LCSC. I'm happy to see that you've already connected with some of our members. Please feel free to share more of your story and ask questions. This community is a great place to find support, information, and hope!

We are here for you,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Archived