Durvalumab

Robert Macaulay

Hi Robert!

I'll be starting on Durvalumab shortly myself. It's so new I don't know if anyone has been on it all that long yet!  

It appears to work similar to Keytruda...?..if I'm reading it right.   My oncologist is pretty excited about it though. LOL

I start on August 27 and my doctor said  last week they were very  pleased with previous results of the drug. She also said in the same breath if it does show any progression after three months of treatment we will stop the infusions .

Bob

A little over a week from now! I'm not sure yet when I'll start. Probably sometime in September. I just finished 6 weeks radiation so I have to wait for the 3 week post check-up to find out. Not thrilled about infusions every 2 weeks...BUT...it shouldn't be nearly as long as the chemo infusions were! So YAY that! 

I believe I read that they have made Durvamulab the standard treatment now for unresectable lung cancer following platinum based chemo and radiation.  

Keep us posted on how it's going. 

I'll be right behind ya!

Hoping this stuff works wonders! LOL

Hi Kleo

I Do not worry about wonders I will be very happy to complete the full year of treatment as planned. Right now CT scan  in November and meet the doctor so go from there, They were happy with my previous treatment so I see no reason this will be any different but each individual can be very different in this game of medicine. I am very fortunate as all the treatment cost are covered at no charge to me and that is very substantial over the course of this type of treatment. The doctor did go over the side effects and seem no different from the previous chemo so the way I look at it  Que sera sera    lol

Bob    

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kleo

The infusion took one hour and then the usual 15minute flush. I was in private clinic for the first time and the paper work and also the mixing  of the drug for the infusion as it does not come in bag that took about another hour and that looks like the norm in and out two hours. No other drugs or medication as far as i know. Felt bit tired this afternoon exactly 24 hours after the infusion other than that if Wednesday is good  with no side effects piece cake. They require I get blood work done and meet with doctor prior to each new infusion same as the last Chemo treatment, And I also have CT scan scheduled for October -29 and meet with the Oncologist November-8 That will tell the story if it is working or not.   The life of a cancer patient  Appointments.  lol

ust had my Bi weekly checkup and blood work done prior to my second infusion of Durvalumab, I asked the nurse why I was getting the infusions at private clinic and not at the cancer clinic in the hospital which is five minute drive away to the private clinic, She said good question I will ask the doctor for you. Doctor came in had the usual how are you any effects. I said none at all. He said to answer your question about private clinics. You are getting this drug Durvalumab under compassionate drug use and is not funded under the public health in Canada yet and  the treatment is fully paid by the drug company.This compassionate drug use in what I read this can be applied if no trials are in the patients area, And must be referred by treating doctor under compassionate drug use rules .  Intresting

Bob

Very cool!  You are fortunate to have that available to you, as well as doctors who can help you get hooked up with the latest and greatest drugs.  

I just did a quick google and found out the monthly cost is $15,000 (USD).  Yikes!

Wow! Expensive stuff! I'm lucky as well I get it covered under a local charitable organization called Baycare.

I STILL don't have my start date though! Saw my onc today and she's ordering a CT first, follow up in 4 weeks...THEN I start. I think she's going on vacation so that's probably why I'm delayed. I guess there's no rush huh? October it is.... LOL

And YAY for no funky side effects Bob! 

3 minutes ago, Kleo said:

Wow! Expensive stuff! I'm lucky as well I get it covered under a local charitable organization called Baycare.

I STILL don't have my start date though! Saw my onc today and she's ordering a CT first, follow up in 4 weeks...THEN I start. I think she's going on vacation so that's probably why I'm delayed. I guess there's no rush huh? October it is.... LOL

And the clinic I use is Bayshore just a coincidence I doubt it.  Just buy good laxative and your good to go.  lol

We do also have compassionate care drugs available in the U. S that have not yet been approved. I know because my last Oncologist who wanted to try the Opdivo/Yervoy combo next said that was the way he could get that. 

Judy M. 

3 hours ago, Robert Macaulay said:

This compassionate drug use is available in the USA .

Oh, I know it is.  I just meant it's great when anyone who needs these drugs has a way to get them.  Anyone eligible for such a program is fortunate.  

I know that R&D of new drugs is expensive, but some of the pricing really is off the charts.

4 hours ago, Kleo said:

Funny had my  CT  July-25  Four weeks later August-27 had first treatment. 

Bob I think we are treatment twins here...😁😁 

Just got my CT appt for Sept. 26. That puts me at the end of October then for my first treatment. By then you'll have had several treatments so you're gonna be like my Yoda   guide through this stuff! 😏

Kleo

I meet with Oncologist  November- 8th to review the results and make a decision to continue or cancel this treatment I will have had five infusions prior to the scan on October-29. I like quick results one way or another.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

I go for my third infusion on September-27 and only feel tired the day after the infusion. Everyone has different reactions to any drug and for me I had none during chemo except for the usual fatique. What I have read if you can stay with it the results are very promising for some individuals who have posted  there results, So for my markers glad to be on it.

There is also a combination out there using this drug also.

Bob

I still haven't started mine. 😕 Gotta wait for the CT scan this week. Bob you didn't have side effects for chemo?! Wish I could say the same!

Why do they always gotta have the icky side effects? Nausea, vomiting, neuropathy, hair loss, fatigue, etc. I wanna discover one that has some cool side effects. WARNING: May cause the sudden ability to fly, enhanced telepathy, increased speed and agility, night vision, extreme intelligence, etc. LOL

I think I watch too many X-Men movies..😄

Kleo

The last two full doses of chemo were not very pleasant glad it was only two lost all my hair and two days with very bad fatigue and weight loss in the past now.

With this new drug I still cannot pick the winning lotto numbers, maybe with more infusions it might help..

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.