Port or no port? Taxol and Carboplatin weekly infusions with daily radiation

Bunch

My boyfriend was diagnosed with Stage III (b or c) NSCLC a few weeks ago. He starts weekly chemo on 8/20 with daily radiation treatments. His oncologist said he doesn't need a port because he has "good veins". When I read the side effects of these two drugs they both mention burning at the infusion site and possible tissue damage if the vein is missed. Does anyone have experience with these drugs being infused without a port? Did you have any issues?

I just finished 4 infusions of carboplatin and alimpta without a port.  Besides the infusions, there were blood tests twice during 3 week interim.  So far my old veins are holding up. Ask his oncologist why he should or shouldn't have a port.

Yes I had eight infusions of Taxol and Carboplatin and never had port and yes and some nurses had problem finding veins if they had problem another nurse or supervisor was on hand to assist..They now have a machine which they used on me last time for finding veins and worked just fine. Over the course of my treatment I did notice people with ports.

No experience with chemo, personally, but given the problems I've had accessing veins for anesthesia or routine blood draws, I'd DEFINITELY get a port, regardless of whether it burned or not.  Multiple needle sticks just add insult to injury, as far as I'm concerned.  

Hi Bunch,I 

As I mentioned in my reply to your other post, I had concurrent chemo ( cisplatin) and radiation, plus addtional chemo with carboplatin and taxoterre. I had all this without a port. I never had any burning or tissue damage (I have heard of this but noone I Know has had it.)  My veins were not particularly "good" and sometimes it was difficult to find them so I did get a lot of sticks. I do know several people who've had ports  and they found it to be an advantage. If I ever have to have chemo again (God forbid!) I probably will ask for a port.

Bridget O

Archived