Spiculated nodule

Lauras

I've never had one in my neck--do you know why they are doing that?  Your wrist shouldn't be a problem.  And it will probably be out within a day or so.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will have a regular  iv, the central iv in my neck, and the arterial iv. He said bc sometimes they need different ones for different meds that cant be mixed and something else. I read the arterial one monitors blood pressure more accurately and i believe the central monitors respiration?

Hm, I don't know too much about the ins and outs of IV placements.  But I wouldn't worry too much about it.  The only thing I really remember about mine is that the second time I was discharged they forgot to take the one out of my hand.  I was walking out the doors when the hospital security guard asked if I was SPOSED to have that thing on my hand.   LOL, we had to have someone come down to remove it--they were pretty embarrassed.  

So just make sure you're totally disconnected before they send you home.  :) 

We're thinking of you today, Lauras! Please post an update when you can. We're here for you!

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

17 minutes ago, LaurenH said:

We're thinking of you today, Lauras! Please post an update when you can. We're here for you!

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Hey everyone! Dr called the other day and rescheduled my surgery for the 6th. I meant to let you  know sooner!

My surgery was the week after the Fourth of July (last year)--they could have done it a week sooner, but I took the holiday (and an extra day in between) to get my household chores done, do shopping, etc., so I could have my house reasonably clean and not have to do anything until I felt up to it.  So this short reprieve will give you a chance to get your ducks in a row, as well as hopefully relaxing a bit.  :) 

Well, tomorrow is the day! I am kind of anxious and nervous feeling today, its not really bad though. Everyone here has helped calm me so much and i really appreciate it. Im still taking care of a few things  around the house today to keep myself busy. I have a bag packed, but one of the nurses said I would not need my own pajamas bc i would wear a hospital gown. I understand that, but after the drain tube comes out I really think a shower and my own clothes would make me feel better. Any thoughts or advice on this?

You might not be able to shower for a few days.  As I recall, they didn't want me getting the incision wet.  As far as your own pajamas go, there's a good chance that they will get stained, or that they will be more difficult to remove if you need a procedure done.  You will probably be in the hospital only for a couple of days.  I'd suggest just bringing with you some soft, comfy clothes (yoga pants/shorts and a top you can wear without a bra) for the trip home.  Once you find out when you can shower, you can do that at home.

That would be my suggestion.

Good luck tomorrow!  Post soon and let us know how it went!

Sounds like a long time to be in the hospital for VATS.  My doc was ready to discharge me the day after surgery, but since I live alone I thought one more night would be better, to make sure everything was OK.  I always think getting out as soon as it's reasonable to do so is a good idea. Maybe you'll get lucky and get sprung early!  :)

hey everyone! I had the surgery thursday, had to cut me instead of VATS.  I had a lot of gooey, stuff, like gummy in my lungs and the dr vacuumed all that out. The spiculated place was cancerous, adencarcinoma but has all been removed along with lymph nodes. I am so sore, and so short of breath. Right now i have oxygen. Did anyone else go through  this? 

Hey, Laura,

Wow, I'm sorry your surgery had to be extended.  The shortness of breath is temporary--your remaining lung tissue will take over for the missing lobe, but it takes some time to heal.  Your healing time will be a bit longer with the larger incision, but just go slow and give your body a chance to recover.  Glad to hear they got the cancer out--hopefully your lymph nodes will be clear, but if not, there's a strategy to deal with that.

Rest up (as well as you can--hospitals are not the most restful places!) and be sure to do your breathing exercises and start walking as soon as they suggest you try.  Those things will help speed your healing.

Good job--you made it through!

6 minutes ago, LexieCat said:

Hey, Laura,

Wow, I'm sorry your surgery had to be extended.  The shortness of breath is temporary--your remaining lung tissue will take over for the missing lobe, but it takes some time to heal.  Your healing time will be a bit longer with the larger incision, but just go slow and give your body a chance to recover.  Glad to hear they got the cancer out--hopefully your lymph nodes will be clear, but if not, there's a strategy to deal with that.

Rest up (as well as you can--hospitals are not the most restful places!) and be sure to do your breathing exercises and start walking as soon as they suggest you try.  Those things will help speed your healing.

Good job--you made it through!

Im at home now, I just was not expecting all this shortness of breath. I have been walking and doing these breathing  exercise thungs since friday. Im just already tired of being like this

Terrific!  I have a feeling you will start breathing easier soon.  Keep doing your exercises.  I know I coughed and huffed and puffed for the first couple of weeks and then it got progressively better.  

Great they got it all! Sorry you had that gooey stuff. It sounds awful. I've never heard of this, but seems liket having your lung vacuumed out could cause shortness of breath. keep doing your walking and your breathing exercises and I bet it will get better soon. Are you sleeping with your upper body elevated? I may have said this already, but I was advised to sleep with my upper body at a 45 degree angle. I got a foam wedge pillow (12 inches tall at the back end) and it helped me breathe a lot easier after my surgery. 

Bridget O

2 hours ago, BridgetO said:

Great they got it all! Sorry you had that gooey stuff. It sounds awful. I've never heard of this, but seems liket having your lung vacuumed out could cause shortness of breath. keep doing your walking and your breathing exercises and I bet it will get better soon. Are you sleeping with your upper body elevated? I may have said this already, but I was advised to sleep with my upper body at a 45 degree angle. I got a foam wedge pillow (12 inches tall at the back end) and it helped me breathe a lot easier after my surgery. 

Bridget O

You did tell me about the wedge pillow, I have been sleeping in the extra room where the adjustable base bed bed is. I cant even begin  to think  of laying flat, bc i cannot breathe! Its just  scary wearing this oxygen all the time and being  so short of breath, but people are telling me its normal and in a few weeks i will not need it.  Lets hope it gets better!

Laura,

First, congrats!  Keeping that crummy cancer confined to the lung is a good thing.  Sorry you had to have the traditional surgery; I had it, too, and it was rough.  The first 3-4 weeks, I was definitely short of breath but I blew on that stupid gadget and walked each day.  I was able to walk a little further each day and the day I made the entire block by myself, I thought I deserved a gold medal.  Be patient - you'll get there.

I hope your surgical recovery goes smoothly.  I wasn't able to wear a regular bra for almost two months after surgery.  I returned to work wearing camisoles under my shirts.  I had a couple of post-surgery issues.  The first was spasms - like a muscle spasm but much deeper.  The spasms were strong enough to force fluid out through my chest tube and to catch my breath.  They were also painful.  I had my surgery in late February and by June the spasms were gone.  The other issue I had/continue to have is some numbness on my left side under my arm.  

Keep us posted on your recovery.  

Archived