Spiculated nodule

Lauras

Hey everyone! Its been a little over a week since the lobectomy now and i am breathing better. If sitting and watching  tv i can remove the oxygen but still need it if i am doing anything, but thats progress! I was wondering if anyone else that had this surgery, open lobectomy  had terrible stiffness and soreness around this time post op. Its horrible! Please let me know, thanks!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you know, I had VATS, but based on what I've heard, your experience is par for the course at this early stage.  It WILL get better, but healing takes longer than with VATS, unfortunately.  If your doctor's OK with it, mild but increasing physical activity will probably help you get back to normal sooner.  Don't forget your breathing exercises, either!  That will help a lot with your breathing.

Hang in there!

Lauras,

Please explain what your surgery was exactly. Then I can respond based on the two surgeries that I had.

Hope you start to feel better soon. How long have you been in the hospital? Which lobe was removed?

Try to get up and do laps during the day as allowed by your docs!!

Ro

BTW, I had VATS (removed lower left lobe) 9/17 and thoracotomy (removed upper right lobe) 10/17. I still feel stiff and uncomfortable from the second surgery but I don't let it stop me from working, going to the gym, etc..

I can share more with you after you get back to me about your specifics.

Hang it there. It does improve slowly over time.

Ro

2 minutes ago, Roz said:

Lauras,

Please explain what your surgery was exactly. Then I can respond based on the two surgeries that I had.

Hope you start to feel better soon. How long have you been in the hospital? Which lobe was removed?

Try to get up and do laps during the day as allowed by your docs!!

Ro

I had an open lobectomy. It has been 11 days and i am home. The right  upper lobe was removed and 13 lymph nodes.

I found that the open lobectomy of the right upper lobe took me a lot longer to recover from. It had only been 6 weeks or so since I had the VATS surgery. 

But I still feel it today. I'm guessing you are taking Gabapentin for pain? How frequently? If you are at home, how do you with walking around the house? Up/down stairs?

I tried to keep track of how many minutes I walked around the house and then increased it a bit each day. I also did walks outside when someone was available to walk with me. If I was alone, I just walked up and down my driveway. It's the movement and increasing this over time that will help you heal. As Lexicat said, just don't overdo it..You will know when it's enough. Rest after you do any movement. Then try again in a few hours. Did they send you home with oxygen? Your post made it sound like you were on oxygen at home. 

Let me know if you have any questions!!

1 minute ago, Roz said:

I found that the open lobectomy of the right upper lobe took me a lot longer to recover from. It had only been 6 weeks or so since I had the VATS surgery. 

But I still feel it today. I'm guessing you are taking Gabapentin for pain? How frequently? If you are at home, how do you with walking around the house? Up/down stairs?

I tried to keep track of how many minutes I walked around the house and then increased it a bit each day. I also did walks outside when someone was available to walk with me. If I was alone, I just walked up and down my driveway. It's the movement and increasing this over time that will help you heal. As Lexicat said, just don't overdo it..You will know when it's enough. Rest after you do any movement. Then try again in a few hours. Did they send you home with oxygen? Your post made it sound like you were on oxygen at home. 

Let me know if you have any questions!!

I was sent home with oxygen. I came home last monday sept 10. I can now sit in the chair without the oxygen but get short of breath fast once i get up and move around and need it. The only pain i have is loke bruising feom surgery. I have lortab for that. I do not have stairsthank goodness

Sounds to me like you are making great progress, especially since it has only been 11 days. Really fantastic!!

Keep practicing breathing in and out multiple times a day as it does help! It should help with your shortness of breath too.

The bruising should get better over time. That's great that you aren't in pain!

Keep up the great recovery...just ask if you have any other questions.

Ro

9 minutes ago, Roz said:

Sounds to me like you are making great progress, especially since it has only been 11 days. Really fantastic!!

Keep practicing breathing in and out multiple times a day as it does help! It should help with your shortness of breath too.

The bruising should get better over time. That's great that you aren't in pain!

Keep up the great recovery...just ask if you have any other questions.

Ro

Some days are berter than others with the incentive spirometer. Its hit or miss. So you think im doing good? I feel like i am making very slow progress

Lauras,

Yes, I've had the surgery you had and two more after. Recovery time and difficulty vary for everyone but you should begin to feel a little better every day.  The best thing you can do to enhance your recovery is to get up and walk, frequently and add length to your walk.

I think your progress is fine.  Keep at the spirometer and stay active.  You'll be fine.

Stay the course.

Tom

I agree with everything Tom said...you are doing great!! Just keep increasing your physical activity little by little each day!!

Ro

Check up went good. My oxygen bounces from 97-99 room air at rest. I need it now.while sleeping and while up.walking if i get short  of breath. My lungs sound great. So great that  she said she wouldnt even know i had a lobe removed. I go back for another post op  check up oct 12

Ok everyone. As yoyu all know i had the open lobectomy 2 weeks ago. I am now getting  really annoyed. I want to feel better! My right  side along with my right breast hurts SO bad! Like a very bad bruised feeling. When does this go away? It hurts to walk!

Lauras,

You had major surgery. You have a large incision and consequently recovery will involve feeling pain. But, the pain goes away.  How long?  I think it depends on too many factors to give an estimate.  But, rather than focus on when, focus on what.  You had the most successful treatment for lung cancer there is.  You have a very significant chance of NED.  You'll likely have post surgical chemo, but that will be a piece of cake.  

I look forward to celebrating your NED scans as the years roll on.

Stay the course.

Tom

2 minutes ago, Tom Galli said:

Lauras,

You had major surgery. You have a large incision and consequently recovery will involve feeling pain. But, the pain goes away.  How long?  I think it depends on too many factors to give an estimate.  But, rather than focus on when, focus on what.  You had the most successful treatment for lung cancer there is.  You have a very significant chance of NED.  You'll likely have post surgical chemo, but that will be a piece of cake.  

I look forward to celebrating your NED scans as the years roll on.

Stay the course.

Tom

My incision is not hurting. I dont need chemo or radiation. I just wanted to know if it was normal for the pain i was having and how long it takes it to leave

A large incision like that can involve damage to the nerves, as well as to the skin, muscle, and ribcage.  I've cracked a rib, and was in pretty bad pain for a couple of weeks, and had lingering pain for much longer.  And that was just a cracked rib, not getting cut up the way you were.  

You might want to discuss it with your surgeon, who can tell you what to expect based on how s/he performed the surgery.  I'm sorry you're feeling so lousy.

I believe what i am feeling is nerve pain. I have read the dr. will prescribe lidocaine patches. I see my pulmonologist  Tuesday but went ahead and bought some at the store to see if they  helped. Seems to have helped so far. Has anyone else had this happen and used these patches?

Lauras,

I use prescription strength lidocaine patches when my chronic pain kicks in.  My wife applies two patches to cover my scars and it knocks my pain level down enough to allow me to sleep at night.  They work for me.

Stay the course.

Tom

51 minutes ago, Tom Galli said:

Lauras,

I use prescription strength lidocaine patches when my chronic pain kicks in.  My wife applies two patches to cover my scars and it knocks my pain level down enough to allow me to sleep at night.  They work for me.

Stay the course.

Tom

Do you happen to know the strength  of the prescription ones? The store o es are 4 percent. I just wondered if there was much of a difference

• 1 year later...

I feel somewhat better after reading these posts but I am scared to death. I have to have a  laproscopic  lung surgery in the upper right lobe 1.5 centimeter and some surrounding area ? I am not so worried about pain but can't stand hospitals. How long do you have to stay ? Is a tube down your throat when you wake up because I couldn't stand that. Also do they take out foley cath as soon as you wake up because that's another thing I cannot stand. Makes me anxiety ridden. Not worried about pain. Just so depressed and crying.Any help anyone can give would be appreciated.

Archived