hope16

therapy after surgery

Do you know which type of targeted therapy or name of the drug that the onc is proposing? 

Hi Terri 

Thanks for asking. We are doing fine. Next week my husband will start third cycle of chemo which is cislatin and alimta. So far other than bad taste in mouth and sore throat, he hasn't complained much. His blood counts are in the normal ranges. 

Having said that, his oncologist again suggested that we at rat targeted therapies since he is tileraring chemo well. 

He is EGFR positive hence. We haven't made any decision yet. I have been reading a lot these days to empower myself with knowledge. It does help with the anxiety. I have read books like anti cancer etc whi h. Ake me angry and sad at the same time. There is nothing in the book that we didn't follow. We cut out the sugar white floor etc years ago. We have always been on plant based diet. Highly into meditation and cardiovascular exercises. Never smoked. No alchohal. Our lives were so far very smooth. Other than work related stress there was no trauma before this one. We are blessed with two beautiful kids. Still struggling with this. I wish I had answers. 

Hi Hope,

I'm glad to hear your husband's treatment is going well. I wish for answers, too. I 've had three different primary cancers and I feel like  there must be some explanation. Why did I get these? "What did I do wrong?" But even though I'd like to know why, I don't think I'll find out. Rationally, I believe that we can do things that reduce our risk of cancer, heart disease, etc., but it just reduces it, it doesn't eliminate it. I think it's a lot random, luck of the draw, and/or related to factors like unavoidable environmental exposures and genetic glitches. That's what I THINK, but my feelings are not always (maybe not usually) governed by what I think. I still wish for explanations. You're not alone.

Bridget O

I may sound selfish and ungrateful but why is environment bad for only some of us unfortunate ones. In my extended family and my HUSBAND'S, nobody is cursed by this disease. I stay in a big society where more than 1000 families are there, nobody has this deadly disease. I never came across anybody with this disease in my close and extended circle. Then why my husband God... 

34 minutes ago, BridgetO said:

Hi Hope,

I'm glad to hear your husband's treatment is going well. I wish for answers, too. I 've had three different primary cancers and I feel like  there must be some explanation. Why did I get these? "What did I do wrong?" But even though I'd like to know why, I don't think I'll find out. Rationally, I believe that we can do things that reduce our risk of cancer, heart disease, etc., but it just reduces it, it doesn't eliminate it. I think it's a lot random, luck of the draw, and/or related to factors like unavoidable environmental exposures and genetic glitches. That's what I THINK, but my feelings are not always (maybe not usually) governed by what I think. I still wish for explanations. You're not alone.

Bridget O

I am so sorry about your three primary cancers. I can't imagine what you must be going through. You are in my prayers. Hugs

I'm glad to hear things are going well for him.

You know, when I think about some of the diseases that befall people, I also try to remember that only a few generations ago, a large proportion of the population didn't survive childhood or young adulthood due to rampant epidemics of things like plague, yellow fever, flu, etc.  We found solutions to those illnesses and I think science will eventually eliminate more and more cancers, too.  

There's only so much we, as humans, have the ability to control.  Mutations have been happening since way before humans came on the scene--they are responsible for evolution that makes us healthier, as well as bringing disease.  It makes about as much sense as natural disasters--who gets hit with an earthquake or hurricane.  It isn't a matter of who did something "wrong".  I smoked.  It's the LIKELY reason *I* happen to have gotten lung cancer, but I don't know that because you don't have to have smoked or done anything else to get lung cancer.  

Cancer is never "fair" no matter who gets it.  

I agree with LexieCat completely!  Cancer is just something that happens to some of us. It's not fair, but then life isn't fair in many ways. It just is. And Hope, I'm actually doing fine, despite having had 3 primary cancers and some long term side effects of treatment.  I'm NED (no evidence of disease) on all 3 and for that I'm grateful. My quality of life is really good today. Mostly I don't get into the "why me" thinking. Occasioally I do, but i just let it go and get on with my life. 

What Lexie said about people in th past not surviving childhood is true. As a child I had a couple of pneumonias that I might not have survived without modern medicine.Something else I'm grateful for.  

It's possible to be happy despite cancer.

People like you, Teri, Tom and many other on this forum are my inspirations. My real heroes. Hats off to you guys. I wish to be as brave as you all are. Thanks for your soothing response. 

6 hours ago, LexieCat said:

I'm glad to hear things are going well for him.

You know, when I think about some of the diseases that befall people, I also try to remember that only a few generations ago, a large proportion of the population didn't survive childhood or young adulthood due to rampant epidemics of things like plague, yellow fever, flu, etc.  We found solutions to those illnesses and I think science will eventually eliminate more and more cancers, too.  

There's only so much we, as humans, have the ability to control.  Mutations have been happening since way before humans came on the scene--they are responsible for evolution that makes us healthier, as well as bringing disease.  It makes about as much sense as natural disasters--who gets hit with an earthquake or hurricane.  It isn't a matter of who did something "wrong".  I smoked.  It's the LIKELY reason *I* happen to have gotten lung cancer, but I don't know that because you don't have to have smoked or done anything else to get lung cancer.  

Cancer is never "fair" no matter who gets it.  

True... Life is not fair. All we can do is to accept it as it is and move on. Thanks for the response. Will keep coming back to you guys whenever I am in doubt. Meanwhile. Will keep praying for all of us.