five years down the line

hope16

hello guys

I have hopes that 5-6 years down the line there will be more effective drugs to fight off the cancer with little side effects. I am hoping that then cancer will be managed the way diabetes is managed today.

I hope that ten years from now there will bea definite cure for cancer like TB.

tell me is this even possible. Please tell me that we just need to hang on and we will not have to live in fears anymore.

I don't know whether those things will happen on that particular timeline, but there's certainly new treatments being developed every day.  So yes, there's hope.  And there are, in fact, people now being treated as if they had a chronic disease.  It's happening more and more every year.  

More important, in your case, though, is that the initial treatments have a good shot at completely eliminating your husband's cancer.  It's good to have those other treatments available, but you have good reason to hope they will never be needed, for him!

I have hope that we'll continue to see new treatments which, at the very least, help us manage this disease like a chronic disease.  My grandmother was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer in 2009 and died in 2010.  She didn't have nearly as many options as she would today.  Just since my diagnosis in 2016, we've seen new and expanded treatment options.  I no longer fear that a lung cancer diagnosis is a death sentence.  We have a long way to go, but it's getting better each day.

As someone on the "inside" of lung cancer research- I can tell you that there is HOPE.  In just a few years we've seen fast track FDA approvals and more funding. LUNGevity science meetings are full of excited lung cancer researchers and scientists who are eager to work together to share knowledge and progress.  Most of us have lost people we love to lung cancer or have someone fighting it now, so we understand the urgency and importance of investing in research, partnerships and more viable treatment options.

Hang on.  Live life one day at a time with hope and we continue to be here for you.

Keep posting.  It really does help.

Hugs,

katieb

There is hope. I didn't think there was when my mom was diagnosed with her recurrence, but 1 year later, she is still going strong and doing the things she loves.  Things are changing so quickly in the world of lung cancer treatment.  If my mom had been diagnosed just 1 year later, her treatment plan would have looked very different than it did.  And it is very likely that she would not be battling a recurrence now.  But, I've learned not to look forward to the what if's in 5-6 years, not even in 2-3 years.  My mom's lung cancer taught me to live in the day. Appreciate that she is here with me today.  What happens next year is out of my control and although I hope that either my mom's immunotherapy continues to offer relief from NSCLC or there is a new option out there, but that too is out of my control.

I don't think your hope is that far fetched.  I think with the support of Lungevity, lung cancer research will continue to go in positive directions.  And with us as the faces and voices behind lung cancer, we can change the stigma associated with it in the hopes to bring more funding to the research we need.  

I now know what it is when someone you love gets diagnosed with it. I really wish with all my heart that no one has to loose there loved one to some stupid disease. May god bless aus all.

Archived