solid subtype of adenocarcinoma is more dangeorous

hope16

hello guys

I just read somewhere( was googling ) thatsolid subtype ofadenocarcinoma recurs most frequently then any other subtype my husband has solid subtype and I am really scared. I am soory I lst the website which claimed his so difficult to check authenticity but I am too much scared

Solid subtype, more aggressive, less aggressive, etc....no matter what type of lung cancer someone has, there's a reasonable chance it will come back.  That's why lung cancer patients receive ongoing scans and tests and why we don't use the term "cure" with lung cancer.  It's also why new treatment options are being tested every day.  But just because it comes back doesn't mean it's the end.  You have met several people on this forum who have had multiple recurrences and still live their lives.  My mom is on her first recurrence.  It totally sucked hearing that her cancer had returned and was inoperable, but you have to deal with it and move on.  What's the point of going through all of the testing, treatment, surgeries, etc if you are just going to be miserable or worry about things that are out of your control?  And that's just it, your husband's cancer is out of your control. The constant worry and angst will not help.  If anything it will wear you down for the battles your husband has ahead of him - believe me, I know from experience.  I had to let go, crying 24/7 wasn't helping and was only making things worse.  So I manned myself with knowledge so that I could be the best advocate for my mom.  I made sure I knew what the docs were talking about, I familiarized myself with her type of cancer and many of the terms/treatments that go with it.  That is how I made myself powerful in a situation in which I had no control - I armed myself with knowledge.  

I have a sticky note on my computer at work. It says: Yesterday is gone, Tomorrow has not yet come. We only have today. Let us begin.

That's pretty much as close of a truth as I can get about life in general.  It helps me remain focused on today and let go of my fear of the unknown and what is out of my control. 

They are still trying to figure out which, of many, factors might affect recurrence frequency.  Lung cancer is very, very complicated as a disease.  There are so many factors at play that to look at one in isolation is misleading and unnecessarily scary.  The scientists need to do that kind of analysis as they puzzle out how best to attack the disease. 

Look, my tumor had possible pleural invasion.  That increases the likelihood (relatively and statistically speaking) of recurrence or metastasis.  I'm STILL Stage Ib, and and I choose to believe I'm one of the majority of Ib survivors whose cancer was cured with surgery.  Your husband is choosing to get more treatment than I did.  If you read every study out there, you will find some that are encouraging and some that are discouraging as to specific factors.  This isn't math.  You can't add up the pluses and subtract the minuses and figure out whether the overall outlook is good or bad--it just doesn't work that way.  There are too many other factors they haven't even identified yet that may make a difference one way or the other.

I think of it this way.  I had a disease (I like to think of it in the past) that could have killed me, but I was lucky enough to find it early--most people don't.  I'm keeping an eye on it because there is a chance it could come back.  When/if it does, I will cross that bridge.  Right now I'm feeling great and counting my blessings.  

LIFE is dangerous.  Your husband is fortunate because his cancer was found early and there's a good chance he can be cured.  If not, he's fortunate to be dealing with it at a time when treatments are available that were unheard of five years ago.

I'm going to suggest one more thing.  If you find that your fear and anxiety continue to cause you great distress, consider talking with a professional.  You do need to take care of yourself, and remaining in a constant state of fear is not good for you, your kids, or your husband.  I know there are a few folks here who have benefitted from counseling or therapy to deal with cancer or other serious problems--their own or a loved one's.  

Don't misunderstand me--there isn't something "wrong" with you for feeling scared--this is a scary disease.  And with young kids, there are additional worries.  But we all need a little extra help now and then.  We will support you as much as we can, but as I said, if your feelings persist and are interfering with your life, extra help isn't a bad idea.

Archived