Brain met symptom question

TBone

Hi everybody,

I was just curious about brain met symptoms that anybody may have had.The only way I got diagnosed with LC was because of my brain symptoms.They have disappeared basically since I started decadron.I am now cutting back on decadron because it makes me nervous and sleepless.I want to be aware of any returning symptoms as I do this.I know it probably varies depending on size and location but I had some small symptoms that I didn't recognize as anything serious to begin with.I have a nerve problem in my right thumb so all my life I have had grip problems with my right hand.I would drop things if I held them too long in my right hand.The past couple of months I noticed it getting worse but gradually.It finally got to the point where I had no movement in my right fingers.No tingling or numbing.I just could not make my fingers work.What drove me to the ER on Christmas Eve was a terrible headache and very loud noises inside my head.It sounded like a bursted air hose and the volume fluctuated.Kind of hard to explain but I thought something was wrong with my car and I thought that everyone could hear it.Also any noise had a volume fluctuation in it.I am just baffled because I had no other symptoms of cancer at all.No weight loss,no fatique,no loss of apetite and no cough.This b*stard disease sneaked up on me so silently.I would like info on others experience in this area.Thanks.TBone

Tbone,

Earl had a met to his brain, but that is how his LC was dx, due to the seizures that the tumor caused.

So far he hasn't had any mets to brain since then. However, the seizure, surgery, radiation and chemo have most definitely left their mark on his balance, concentration and memory.

But, if no more mets, thats ok.

If you have any suspicions at all, call the dr. That's is what they get paid for.

Ginny

Hi TBone

My MIL (age 67) was diagnosed a week before Thanksgiving and her only symptoms were losing her train of thought when talking, forgetting, and some confusion. We thought she might have had a stroke, but it was three lesions in the front of the brain - later they found two more.

(She has been diagnosed with stage 4, squamous.)

The decadron alleviated the symptoms within hours and she was acting perfectly normal. However, when they were easing off the decadron, she starting to backslide. The dose was raised slightly and although she isn't as well as when she was on a full dose, she is able to function.

I hope your symptoms don't come back as you dose down. Good luck. And if you have any questions, I'll try to help with my limited knowledge.

Caroline

TBone,

Years ago I was in an accident and sustained a serious head injury. For many months I experienced exactly what you described re: sound levels as if the volume was being increased and decreased. It just about drove me nuts. I couldn't get away from it. And underlying all of that was what sounded to me like fast flowing water rushing over rocks. This also increased and decreased. I sure hope that the radiation treatments mean that now that you are cutting back on the Decradon the noise doesn't return.

Hey T-Bone,

The things you are describing describe my initial response to cisplatin pretty well. To this day I hear things that aren't there, like running water, and when fatigued I hear a metallic clink. Initially, I was hearing everything very LOUD and it hurt! Strange strange phenomenon. I can attribute mine to the chemo, and the damage to the ear.

Perhaps the radiation may have temporarily affected your ears in a similar fashion. In any case, consult your oncologist about it.

Good luck.

and no, you're not hearing things... lol..

XOXOX

MaryAnn

Hugh had brain mets after his initial chemo. He thought he had a sinus infection at first. Over the next few days his face started to get numb. By the time he went for an MRI 1/2 of his entire head, even the inside of his mouth was numb. The decadron caused symptoms that were harder to deal with - personality change and a lot of anger. Totally unlike Hugh.

HI everybody,

Thanks for all the replys on this subject.I have not had any of these symptoms since I started on decadron.They all went away a day or so after I started on it.The noises nearly drove me crazy when they did happen.I was just trying to see if there were any different symptoms that people have had that might indicate I need to go back up on decadron.I am hard to live with on 6mg a day.Very irritable and snappy at folks.I hate being that way. I have cut back to 4 mg a day and will see how it goes now.Praying for us all.TBone

• 3 months later...

TBone,

I know this is an old posting from you, but I'm trying to catch up on everyone's situation so I've been reading old postings.

I thought you could identify with what happened to my dad. He also has brain mets and was given Decadron, but he took 16mg a day for almost 3 months. I noticed that you had trouble at 6mg, so I thought you would understand the significance of Dad's dosage! He was pretty volatile sometimes, and he hardly slept. Worst of all, it deprived him of the use of his legs and arms through myopathy.

Like you, Dad had no lung symptoms whatsoever. He was having trouble with balance and nausea.

Your postings have been very helpful. Thanks for sharing as you go through this. My prayers are with you.

Pam

I remember suddenly, after the first brain surgery during the recovery, my dad one day, went out with mom for shopping, he listened a big noise in his brain while passing through the noisy train station. He suddenly felt not good that finally they returned back home immediately. This was what he told me, several days later, he found he had problem of standing and walking, then we went to ER for these symptoms. This was the brain tumor relapse after the brain surgery.

From my dad case, I guess the noise was caused by the brain tumor, not Decadron. Please ask the neurosurgeon and seek their advice and go for a check.

pardon me for asking, but I am curious, does a metastatic brain tumor behave and grow like a primary brain tumor? I know that gliomas grow very quickly, and was wondering if when they met to the brain they are called glioma's? Anyone?

janet

TBone-

Geoff mother has mets to the brain, but they were only caught after he dx with LC (via a cough and hoarseness that would not do away).

As you know, she has undergone WBR--but has not experienced any side effects (as of yet) other than fatigie and losing some of her hair (from the WBR).

I wish I could offer you more information--I will ask Geoff to read you post and respond, as he may have boticed something I have missed (being sidelined in bed for 2 wks).

Melinda