Greetings from a new guy

Jwags23

Hi,

God Bless You All! New lung cancer guy here. Big news showed up on CT scan 6-22-18. More tests, scans, biopsies and it was called adenocarcinoma with ALK+ by the end of July. Many challenges, Many things to be thankful for. I have been on Alecensa for three weeks now. Have first blood work, CT scan tomorrow. My wife has been amazing support these past two crazy months. If I can help I will. Thanks.

Welcome Jwags.   Sounds like you have a great care system, that they jumped right in to diagnose and begin treatment.   Hope they find good results with the CT tomorrow !

Please update us as soon as you hear the results !  You have my prayers that they will be great.   

Donna G

Hi there, and welcome!  Sounds like you've got a can-do attitude--that helps a whole lot, I think, in making this whole thing more bearable.  

Glad, too, to hear you've got a good support system.  I live alone, but my family across the country has been very kind and supportive, as have my work colleagues.  

If you don't mind sharing, what have they told you about staging?

Glad you found us!

Staging....sorry I left that out. Stage IV, had radiation on two larger tumors in pelvis bones, had radiation on 6 smallish tumors in the brain, cancer has spread to lower spine, adrenal glands, femurs, right shoulder, spine middle back, main cancer is tumor in left lung. Thanks.

Sounds like you've got your hands full, there.  Good luck with the scan tomorrow--will send good vibes and positive thoughts your way.  

I'm in NJ, too--Camden County.  How about you?  Where are you getting your treatment?  Mine was at the MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper Hospital in Camden--they were terrific.

Hi JWags23! Welcome!

Had to look up Alecsensa. I see why it's the first line treatment for ALK+. Wow great results in the trials! There are so many new first line treatments showing up that are taking the place of chemo. And more new ones being researched as we speak. Pretty exciting stuff! 

Keep us posted on how everything goes. We'll be thinkin of ya! 

Hi. Scan appointment went well. We have alot to be thankful for. There is significant reduction in tumor size. My  doctor was pleasantly surprised. I would even say amazed. Many have been praying for me from the start. Praise God for the good response. I live in Salem County NJ. I am receiving my care at the Penn Medicine system, Abramson cancer center. Before the scan, I was on Alecensa for three weeks. I also was taking a protocol (5 weeks)  of over the counter and off label prescription medicines given to me by an excellent naturalist doctor. I learned about her from a book my wife gave me, "The Cancer Whisperer". The author, Sophie Savage, is a stage IV lung cancer survivor. Thanks.

Fantastic news!  And I'm sure you're in good hands at Penn.  If the MD Anderson Center weren't in Camden (just opened a few years ago), that would have been my choice.  I've had other procedures at Penn (non-cancer-related) and they were terrific.  

Just make sure your docs at Penn know about all the meds you're taking--that's important info for them to have.  

When's the next scan?  Do you just continue with the Alecensa?

6 weeks I get blood checked. 12 weeks I get next scan. I have told them about all the meds. I guess I need to make sure everything is in their computer system. Thanks. Yeah, just continue with Alecensa now. Thank God for the advances in cancer treatments. 10 years ago things would look alot different for me.

Archived