Radiation and sore throat

Laurel

I have had 8 of 28 radiation treatments. My throat is quite sore. I talked to my doctor on Friday. Apparently, my white count is up, and I have an infection plus sore throat. He prescribed an antibiotic. Unfortunately, I didn't realize until I got home that it is the antibiotic I can't take. I have rheumatoid arthritis, take steroids and it affects your tendons. He also prescribed a liquid solution of tylenol and codeine. I didn't want to take it after reading side affects. But the next day, Saturday, my throat was so sore, I took a Tablespoon in the morning and afternoon. It relieved my sore throat a little.

Yesterday, I received an order of an aloe vera drink that I am sipping, along with water. It relieves my sore throat a little. So, I am using that instead of tylenol with codeine.

I am also gargling with warm water and baking soda.  I meet with the doctor again on Tuesday.

Any suggestions for sore throat relief?

I don't like that Tylenol and codeine stuff either! Blech! I tried it once and just took plain Tylenol instead. Codeine just makes me sleepy and kinda sick and it didn't really help me with pain. If you are having trouble eating, there is a Rx mouthwash that they can make for you that has a numbing agent. My pharmacy called it Magic Mouthwash. It doesn't last very long though, just long enough to maybe help get through a meal.

Is it all antibiotics that you can't take or just that one? 

I will ask about the magic mouthwash. The aloe vera drink is soothing, and I can sip it throughout the day.

It is just the one antibiotic I can not take.

I guess I just have to accept the sore throat through the next 3 weeks. Thanks Kleo for the advice about magic mouthwash. 

I think you should call your doc and ask about an alternative antibiotic.  You don't want to mess with infection.  Pain relief is one issue but the infection itself has to be addressed.

Hope you feel better soon!

I see my doctor in two days. I will ask for another antibiotic. This will also be my regular blood test day so they can check my white count. Other than this yucky very sore throat, I feel o k.

Thanks LexieCat.

Tom,

I happened to have Hall's extra soothing lemon drops. I tried one and it does help. Thank you so much!

Stay the course is a good mantra, especially when I am ready to stop all this....but you really can't.

I agree with Lexie...try to get a different antibiotic! Can you call and ask them to have the doc call in a different antibiotic for you?  I hate to see you wait until Tuesday to get an antibiotic started. 😕

With Labor Day weekend, it would be more than difficult to contact a doctor. I will see him tomorrow, asking for a different antibiotic. We have s tropical storm heading just north of us....may be quite a rain and wind event.  My treatments are held 50 minutes away.....I may miss a couple this week.

I saw my doctor yesterday. He saw no need for a new antibiotic as I made it through Labor Day weekend with no fever. He prescribed "magic mouthwash" that I have to fill at a compounding pharmacy. He wants me to gargle one Tablespoon for 5 minutes three times a day. Is that possible? He wanted me to continue with Tylenol plus codeine which I used twice over weekend. I said....no. It is an opiate, causes constipation and doesn't relieve sore throat pain any better than honey.  At times, Hall's lemon drops works the best.

19 more radiation treatments....

Um, I can't IMAGINE trying to gargle for 5 minutes at a time.  I don't think it's possible.  I'd ask the pharmacist about that, if it's too hard to get hold of the doc.  

Glad your infection seems to be under control.  And I'm with you on avoiding the opiates if at all possible.  They make me nauseous, as well as constipated.  They're fine when faced with unbearable pain, but other than that....

Hang in there, sistah!  You con do it!

The nurse and doctor intern also in the room couldn't believe....5 minutes. I will just gargle as long as I can. 

A bad sore throat does make an interesting diet....I lost 4 pounds over the weekend. I have had friends go through this. The weight comes back.

Thanks LexieCat for the comments. I'm hanging in by my fingernails...but hanging in. 

5 minutes, really?!!!  Sometimes I think there is reality and then reality of the medical world!  Perhaps we all need to start a social media challenge to raise money for lung cancer research (like the Ice Bucket Challenge). The Sore Throat Gargle Challenge! 

But no matter if you can gargle for 5 seconds of 1 minute (can anyone really gargle longer than that??!!!), YOU GOT THIS GIRL.  You can do it!!!

Lauren,

My compounding pharmacist said there are a lot of different "magic mouthwashes". Mine includes benedryl, antibiotic and more. It does make me sleepy (benedryl), and it may be helping a bit. My pharmacist laughed at the 5 minutes of gargling. I don't make it one minute.

• 1 month later...

Laurel   ... I had radiation for lung cancer and I did not have any problems with my throat. I ate a spoon full of Manuka Honey just before treatment  everyday of radiation  for 6 weeks. 

Manuka honey – to be taken orally. Manuka Honey can prevent mouth and throat ulcers from occurring during the radiotherapy treatment period. It can also heal present ulcers and a sore throat. Patients can avoid a very painful experience with mouth and throat ulcers when the manuka honey is taken correctly.

The honey comes from New Zeland and you need to get Certified UMF 15+ (Super Premium)

good luck... this stuff works

Thanks Tomm. I tried the honey for a while...eased my sore throat temporarily.  I completed radiation 3 weeks ago. My throat is healing.  I just found out I have pneumonia in both lower lungs. My primary physician has prescribed lots of meds.  I had pneumonia in April after my first chemo infusion. Working on coming out of these treatments with some health. I want to be able to walk the dog....to line dance.

I also use High Dose Vit C...  50 grams in an IV.  and this is also good  to cure  Pneumonia .This is a Govt. web page. about C   https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2099400/   ... If you have a low level of Vit c it will help you to raise it.  I get a lot of help from my naturopath oncologist.  My dog does not walk... I have a Jack Russell..

good luck on your journey

Thank you Tomm.  I am increasing my Vitamin C. My dog is a Jack Russell mix.  We don't have a fenced backyard. She loves to walk, but while I'm ill, she cuddles and she is so patient.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tomm-

Thanks for the link on IV C!  We’re also looking into this as well & finding it cost prohibitive.  There is a Riordan Center near us & they want $3 grand to walk in the door.  The Integrative Center we go to at KU no longer offers it.

Do you use it regularly or just as a booster?

My IMD has recommended Turkey Tail medicinal mushrooms. Have you tried it?  

Hi Rower,

I had the Riodan protocolo for a year, once a week and now just once a month. When I have a CT coming I get it twice a month for a few months. There are many places to get the IV c for lower prices. There is a place here that is  $150 and on sale for $100. I did a search for Kansas. this is what I searched for,  "iv  clinic in KANSAS" .. or try a search for a Naturopath oncologist

I  used Turkey tail mushrooms extract but only while on chemo and radiation. I now use  a 5 mushroom extract, . I also used and use CBD/THC oil.

I take 20 different natural supplement extracts.. like tumeric,green tea,chlorella...

good luck on your journey...

Hi Tomm

Thanks very much for the information! I do have a Integrative Medicine MD at KU who trained with Andrew Weill.  He didn’t believe in IV C.  We’ve only seen him once & have another appointment next week. We might consider low dose naltrexone.  

I switched to targeted therapy two weeks ago with an ALK inhibitor Alectinib.  No one is really sure what to expect because it’s new.  

My thanks to the group on some super helpful advice. I have a friend that will be starting radiation this week & the tips were valuable!

Hi Rower,

I take naltrexone, I also did a protocol of Artemisia annua, also known as sweet wormwood. I have read about  ALK inhibitor Alectinib and it sounds like a really good thing.

world peas, Tom

7 hours ago, Rower Michelle said:

Archived