Question: Staging

Joy Marie

It all depends--it could be a couple of days to a couple of weeks.  My pathology results took a while because there was a debate between pathologist and surgeon as to whether the tumor invaded the pleura.  So it was a couple of weeks before mine was complete, but without that issue it would have been a week.  I'd suggest asking her surgeon.

I'll be watching for answers to this myself. I too am having a VATs lobectomy on Friday for the lower left lobe. They know it is adinocarcinoma & only in that lobe, but are not staging it until it is out. I'm in Pennsylvania.

Hello, Shelkay.  My mom's having VATS surgery on the same day.  In her case the doctors haven't told us whether she has a malignancy or not.  So hard to wait for all these answers.  I hope the staging results come faster than days on end.  I'll be thinking of you that day and sending you all positive thoughts.     Joy

I think the initial staging results including initial pathology should come pretty quickly. But they should also be doing biomarker tesing , also called molecular testing or tumor genetics. That's usually sent off somewhere and will take a while-- can't remember for sure but I think mine was around 10 days.

Bridget

Thank you Joy! I had the initial CT, a needle biopsy, PET scan, bronchscopy & a medianoscopy. They are fairly confident it is nowhere else, but still talking of following up with chemo to be sure they got it all. I wish the best for your Mom. I have 6 daughters & I know it's tough on them all; I also still have my Mom and know how I feel when she is going through tough times

Joy,

My surgeon got preliminary diagnosis information from the pathologist while in the operating room.  So the surgeon gets the word pretty quickly.  Have a family member ask the surgeon for the preliminary report after surgery.  A formal pathology report was provided to me about 4 days after surgery.  Be mindful, that the diagnosis standard was once based on visual identification under a microscope.  But, these days with all the new therapies, biopsy material is sent to a lab to check for targeted therapy and immunotherapy suitability.  Lab results are normally available in 2 weeks.

I hope your mom's surgery is successful.

Stay the course.

Tom

Right--the surgeon should be able to tell you whether and what type of cancer (adenocarcinoma, e.g.) right afterward, but the rest of the pathology, and staging, may take a few days. 

Archived